Chapter 16

I guess Commander Erwin was feeling generous today.

Instead of having the sirens wake us up at 3:00 a.m. on the dot for training, he let us sleep in.

I was an early bird, so I was usually awake before the sirens went off beforehand to begin with.

The 104th trainee corps were due to pick their regiment within 3 days, and the Scout Regiment were due for another Expedition in less than a week, so honestly, I had no clue why Commander Erwin was suddenly so cool about training.

I'd be a fool to complain about it.

I walk towards the Mess Hall for breakfast. It was still very early, so nobody was awake up besides a couple of people. One of those people being Levi.

He sat alone at a long table sipping tea. He was wearing a white, button-down shirt with a couple of buttons at the top loose. He looked around the Mess Hall in lost thought until I interrupt.

"Hello, Levi." I greet and sit in front of him. I had been thinking about Levi for quite some time, but I know he'd never feel that way about me, or anyone, for that matter. He turns his face towards me and gives a slight nod.

"Why are you up so early?" He asks, setting his tea down.

"I'm usually awake at this hour." I answer him, and begin to twirl my hair. I don't know why I found interest in Levi. He was so blank. Sure, he was very attractive, but that's all there is too him.

I look at him in his blue-gray eyes and begin to blush.

Are you kidding me!?

"You're blushing. What's wrong with you? You can't even hold a simple conversation without turning red like a tomato? Wow, you're pathetic." Levi chuckles a bit. He turns to see if anyone is watching. When he sees nobody is looking, he leans close to my face and pokes me gently on the cheek. "Oh? They're still chubby."

I giggle at him calling my cheeks chubby and look down at the wooded table, gently smiling from his touch.

"The Expedition is coming soon. I know you're perfectly capable of going at it, but I need you to do me a favor. A big one." Levi's face turns back into it's stoic expression, and his tone turns serious.

"Y-yeah? What is it, Heichou?" I got into the habit of calling Levi Heichou. It was quite fitting.

"I need you to stay here. Inside the walls." Levi grabs his tea cup and takes a long sip before setting it back down and looking at my jaw-dropped, wide eyed face.

"W-what? But sir, why!?" I ask, almost shouted.

"I just need you to stay here. Despite us being in the same squad, I'm worried out there I can't protect you. I don't want the same thing that happened to Isabel and Farlan to happen to you. I can't lose another..." Levi looks down at his hands.

I somewhat understood where he was coming from.

Did I agree with him?

No.

Did I argue though?

No.

I just gave a nod, disappointed.

"What about you though? Who's going to protect you?" I was geniually worried. I know Levi is known as Humanities Strongest Soldier, and I know he can defend for himself, but what concerns me is the unknown terrain beyond the walls. He's grown used to it by now I'm sure, but everything is not certain out there.