Chapter 40

When I woke, I was no longer in the Underground, and I was no longer resting on Eren's shoulder

I was lying on the seventh step on the stairwell back to the surface. I could smell the bitter scent of blood covering the brick walls, fore it was still fresh.

War.

I rub my head and stand up.

Where is my Samuel? Eren, Mikasa, Armin? Where are they?

Walking up the stairwell, I throw off my cape, deeming it not necessary anymore. It falls gracefully onto the ground. I notice bodies thrown around, layered in blood. The bitter sweet smell gets stronger.
Cringing at the smell, I pinch my nose.

Stepping outside into the sunny atmosphere, I want to go for a walk. Go to the market and shop for fruits. Maybe even go to the local bookstore. Today is such a beautiful day,

Alas,

I cannot. Today is a day of death and sacrifice.

I sigh and shoot an anchor into a nearby building, shooting myself into the air. I dash quickly over to where Moblit claimed the higher ups would be. Hopefully, they're still there. I want to see Levi. I need to make sure he's okay before anyone else.

I observe my surroundings, looking at all the soldiers fly threw the air, occasionally stopping to restock their gas and change their blades. I never see Samuel and the rest, however.

"(Y/N)!" A feminine figure waves at me. I squint my eyes to see farther into the distance. Hanji. As I hoped, the trio sat right on top of an abandoned building, observing the ruckus.

Levi looks directly at me and a look of relief paints his face, I smile at him.

"Cadet (L/N), why aren't you fighting? This is a state of emergency!" Erwin frowns at me and crosses his arms.

I shrug, "I came for Levi....and uh...Hanji! I came for those two. Also, could you point me in the direction of the battle, and in the direction of Temporarily Squad Samuel"

Levi stands up, limping his way over to me, along with Hanji.

Erwin doesn't respond for a moment, but eventually says, "Towards the North. Your friends are fighting against the Female Titan. They can't seem to subjugate her due to her hardening ability. Perhaps you three can handle the situation..." and with that, he looks specially at Levi.

Nice to know he has faith in us.

I nod and blast myself away, Levi and Hanji following right behind. Of course, Levi would take the lead and I would have to put him back in his place. Looking down, I realize just how many soldiers we've lost over the course of me passing out and waking up on the stairwell. Bodies were everywhere. How could one, small, teenage girl do a mass genocide like this? I had to hold back the vomit creeping up my throat. I couldn't handle this.