Chapter 44

"Tie your horse here. We won't need them for a while. Come on," Samuel holds out his hand for me and I flick it away.

"I'm no child, thank you very much." I scoff and he laughs.

"Suit yourself."

We walk along the sidewalk for a while longer, talking about everything and nothing. I would pressure him into telling me where we were going, and he finally cracked.

"By the walls, (Y/N). I have no clue how Levi deals with you constantly. You're so irritating. I'm not going to tell you where, but I'll give you a hint." He looks up at the streetlights along the sidewalk and traces his lip with his fingers, "What do those streetlights remind you of?"

"The Underground?" I ask, rubbing through my (h/c) hair.

He slightly tilts his head and smiles, "Hitting the nail on the head,"

No, no no. Not again. I'm not going, I'm not going back!

"Sammy, please, I don't want to go! Please!"

The simple thought of the Underground could bring tears to my eyes. The smell, the sound, the looks, everything about the Underground tortured my senses. Yanking on Samuels sleeve, I tug to pull him back. He looks at me oddly.

"We won't be there long, and I'll stay with you. Come on. Don't be a baby." He grabs my arm and pulls me in front of him, forcing me to walk along in front of his body. I stuff my head into his neck and cry.

"Please! I don't want to go down there!" I scream. I could tell people around us were starting to stare because Samuel was no longer looking straight, but staring right back. He grips tightly onto my wrist and ushers me towards the entrance.

"(Y/N), calm down." He whispers into my ear.

"Shut up, Sam! I told you I don't want to go down there! Unhand me now, damn you!"  I fight against his grip and buck my head against his chest, "Let me go!"

He looks genuinely hurt by my words, a small sigh escaping his lips and his eyebrows slightly furrow. A man comes up to us and sets a hand on Samuels shoulder.

"H-Hey, the lady said she wants you to let go of her." The man says, looking at me with worried eyes. I huff and puff in annoyance and once more push against Sams grip.

Samuel looks at the man and tilts his head, but doesn't say anything. He stares straight at the man with his dead, dark brown eyes.

"Did you hear me? The lady said she wants you to let go." The man repeats. He holds his hands up to pull me from Sams grip, but Samuel pushes him backward with enough force to make him collapse to the ground.

"Sam!" I gasp, "Sir, are you alright!?"

The man doesn't say anything, only looks at us with terrified eyes. He quickly stands and scurries off. Samuel smirks and puts an arm under my legs, lifting me into his arms.

"I hate people." Samuel says quietly so only I could hear.

This was not the Sam I knew. He would never do something to me against my will, so why is he doing it now?

I cling onto his shoulders as he escorts us down the stairwell, back to Hell.

Back to home.

The nostalgia hits me hard in the chest. The scent of Samuel mixed with the smell of the Underground attacks me all at once as I recall the memories of us running all over the Underground chasing each other or playing with other children. I look around at the run down homes and the animals laying down in their own waste. It takes everything I have not to puke. I lean into Samuels chest to hide myself from the disgusting environment, only taking peeks every now and then.