Neighbors

Dave's POV-

"So where are Jake and Dirk?" Rose asks as she steps out the door. I shrug. "No idea." I adjust my shades. I always have a pair of shades on my face no matter what. The ones I'm wearing now are outdated. They're rusted and falling apart but they still do their job. I walk down the driveway with Rose, occasionally bumping shoulders with her. "Where to first? She asks. I shrug. "There's a park near by. It looked pretty cool." She smiles. "Alright. Let's go."

The park looked abandoned. It seemed as though no one had been there in years. That's probably why I liked it. I noticed two other kids sitting on a rusty table, well one was sitting, the other was in a wheel chair, by an Oak tree but I ignored them. I sat on the end of yellow slide. Rose sat on a green swing a few feet away from me. She stared at the two kids. I could tell she was in a trance by the way her eyes were tinted. "Kanaya! Tavros! Look at me!" A shrill voice squealed from the jungle gym. "Be careful Nepeta. Mom would kill me if you got hurt." I looked up at the jungle gym. A small girl, about 7 or 8, stood on top of a yellow canopy. "I'll be o..." She started before she slipped. My instincts instantly kicked in. I ran over to the jungle gym and caught the girl, Nepeta, before she hit the ground. "Nepeta!" Are you okay?" Kanaya ran over to me. Tavros followed behind her. Nepeta jumped out of my arms and into Tavros's lap. "I'm okay!" Nepeta squealed. "Thank you so much. Um, I'm Kanaya. This is my friend Tavros and my little sister, Nepeta." I laughed. "No need for thanks. I'm Dave. And over there is my twin sister, Rose." I motioned for her to come over. "We just moved here." Kanaya smiled. "Where do you guys live?" I looked over at Rose. "262 Sickle Lane." Kanaya smiled again. "We live next door." Rose stood next to me awkwardly, she looked at Kanaya dreamily. "Well hi. I'm Kanaya." Rose smiled. "Rose."

We walked back together. I stuck close to Nepeta. She seemed pretty cool. Well all three of them did. But I preferred Nepeta. She sat on my shoulders. Her head was placed on top of mine, almost like a cat. When we got back to Kanaya's house, there were two guys sitting on her porch. "Hey Gamzee, Karkat. What are you doing here?" Kanaya asked. "Well this fuckface wanted to see Tavros. And we know he is usually here." Nepeta squealed. "Karkitty!" She jumped of my shoulders into who I guessed was Karkat, based on the nickname she gave him. "Oh. Well, I have someone I'd like you to meet. Actually two someones. The twins, Dave and Rose." Gamzee smiled at us. He kinda reminded me of a clown. "Nice to meet ya." His accent was thick. Very southern. I nodded. "Rose we should go. Dirk and Jake might be back." She groaned. "Fine. We'll see you later." Nepeta waved at us as we walked next door.