Chapter 16: Loss of innocence

Aiden, Sat Jan 5th 2013

Fuck! I need to calm down! How could I snap at him like this after all he went through?

I'm currently trying to get my shit back together as I take deep breaths to relax. The morning had gone well though, and I was just coming back home with a few gifts for him, so he should have been in a good mood. I knew he was getting bored with all my absences, so I thought a laptop and a phone would keep him busy. When I saw the graphic tab, I couldn't resist adding it to my basket. Zach clearly is gifted artistically speaking, and I'm sure he could do miracles with it.

He took me completely by surprise when he said he couldn't accept them because he intended to go back to Thomas. I know we hadn't talked about it much, but it was a given for me that he was never going back there after everything that bastard did to him. So I didn't react well, which led Zach to have a screaming fit against me. I know he wasn't himself, but it still stung when he accused me of helping him just so I could get into his pants, or to insult the lifestyle and suggest I wanted him as a sex slave.

At that point I knew I would just hurt him more with anything I threw back at him, so I just left, slamming the door. I didn't go very far, just the opposite wall, against which I'm standing, breathing deeply.

Get a grip! Zach is probably very upset right now, and he needs your help!

Just as I am about to go back in to soothe the poor boy, I hear the elevator coming up and my mom steps outside of it.

"Hi Sweetie!" she greets me with a small hug. "What are you doing here?"

"I completely fucked up, mom," I whisper, almost crying. Like I knew it already, I'm not suited to take care of someone and it's going to end up the same way as last time with him.

"He snapped at me and I left him alone, saying I couldn't deal with his shit right now," I keep on.

"Shhh! It's okay Sweetie! Of course caring for him isn't easy and you were bound to have a fight at some point or another. What made him go crazy?"

"He told me he intended to go back to his boyfriend later," I sigh. "I just asked him how he could do that after all what happened."

"That's okay," she soothes me. "It's nothing too bad. How long has he been alone?"

"Fifteen, twenty minutes... I should go back inside."

"No, you need to calm down," she replies. "It's a good thing I arrived a bit early. Go spend the evening at your club, do what you usually do to relax," she adds with a wink. "I will deal with Zach tonight like we had planned, you don't have to worry about anything. It will be best if you two only talk about it after getting a bit of distance."

"Are you sure I don't need to apologize now?"

It seems like a great plan overall, and God knows I would really appreciate having a worry-free night, but I don't really want to leave things as they are.

"Tomorrow will be soon enough, now go and let me work my magic!" she dismisses me.

Well who am I to go against the will of my mother? Still, I have an uneasy feeling in my stomach when I get to my office. I do a bit of administrative work, since I am here earlier than I had planned, and order myself a sandwich. Since I was supposed to have dinner with Zach and my mom, I had told my friends we would not eat together and to meet directly in the Blue Hedonism tonight. Obviously my plans with the poor baby have fallen through.

There is a small knock at my door around 7pm, and a blushing Spencer enters.

"Have you thought about my offer?" I ask him.