NEW HOME | 2

CHAPTER 2:
NEW HOME
SONG FOR CHAPTER:
ELASTIC HEART BY SIA

WELL I'VE GOT THICK SKIN AND AN ELASTIC HEART
BUT YOUR BLADE IT MIGHT BE TOO SHARP
I'M LIKE A RUBBER BAND UNTIL YOU PULL TOO HARD
BUT YOU WON'T SEE ME MOVE CLOSE

"Come on Miranda! Don't want to keep your new care givers waiting, now do we!?" My dad yelled out from the bottom of the stairs. I removed myself from my small window and sighed deeply. I closed the window shut, before making my way towards my bed where my final suitcase sat. I grabbed it lazily, not liking the feeling that it gave me. It made me feel upset. If I knew leaving home would feel like this, then I would have screamed "no" and rushed to find a hiding spot. But I shouldn't be feeling like this. I should happy that I'm finally able to have some freedom.

I shoved my suitcase out my once shared bedroom and closed the door behind me. I looked to see both of my parents smiling up at me from the bottom of the stairs. Even through the smiles, I could see the hurt on how I'm leaving. I grinned back down at them, before once again grabbing the handle of my suitcase and carefully walking down the stairs. The intensity of my nerves grew larger with every step. And when actually stepping outside and being blinded by the natural light, I could see all of my foster siblings smiling sadly at me. They were clumped together by the car with a large sign.

BYE MIRANDA!

I cooed at the sight and motioned for them to give me a hug. I was practically tackled from all of the arms surrounding my body. The feeling of tears pricking my eyes is what made me disperse the giant hug.

"I'm going to miss guys so much" I said softly.

"We're going to miss you too Miranda" my fifteen year old foster brother smiled and again pulling me in for a hug. Even if he was a lot taller than me, I hugged his body tight knowing he was going to miss me. He wouldn't admit it, but he's secretly a very emotional person.

"Alright everyone! Miranda has to get going. Let her through, so she can finally see her new home" My mother exclaims. All my siblings stepped away and allowed me to reach the car. I placed the suitcase in the already opened trunk, before closing it with a little struggle. I went to the passenger door of our family van; opening it and allowing that same nervous feeling flow through me. But before I actually got in, I turned back to look at the same kids I have grown to love deeply. They smiled at me, making my own grin grow on my face. I waved before getting in and closing the door.

"I love you" I whispered.

"Ready to go?" My dad asks while turning the key and starting the engine. I nod my head, before realizing that he can't see me.

"Yeah. I'm ready" I answer. And I meant it. Yeah, I might feel a little scared that I'm going somewhere different. But then again, that same foster home is only a few blocks away. If I have any issues, I know exactly where I'm running off to.