The Search

{Apocalypse AU}

{Requested}

Sounds of screaming and clanging could be heard from behind me as I ran through the endless hallways that seemed to go nowhere, my throat burned like a fire, my legs begged for me to stop running, and my whole body wanted to collapse of exhaustion. I wanted to cry out for help, get out of this place, anything to get me away from these diseased creatures. My mask seemed to suffocate me, every breath I took became shorter, every moment they got faster. I took a left of the hallway that split in two ways, I ran and ran until I was met with a wall, I skid to a stop and looked behind me. There was a person standing, their skin rotting, there was a hole instead of a nose on their face. They had a wicked grin plastered on their face as they raised a shakey hand, they pointed at me.

"Get him..." their voice was raspy and deep, an army of the diseased rounded the corner and ran towards me at a break-neck speed. I squeezed my eyes shut and shielded myself as they neared. This was it, I was done for. I was going to die and be forgotten, never find the answer to the greatest mystery, the cure. And I would die without knowing if __________ was okay.

...__________...

Oh how I missed her.

Then everything went in slow motion, there was a flashback of that day when she was taken away from me. I was struggling to free myself while she cried out for help, I tried to yell, scream, anything to let her know that I was coming for her. We were so close, but so far apart. Everytime I tried to get up, a great force pulled me back down. My voice was choked up in my throat, I couldn't speak. Then the scenario changed, I saw __________, but she was in a room. A cold, grey room.

She was in shackles, she hugged herself and dug her nails into her skin until beads of blood trickled down her bruised arms. Her hair was matted and her face was devoid of emotion, her once full-of-life eyes no longer held their usual gleam of mischief or happiness. She looked up at me and her mouth parted, forming words that came out in a meek whisper.

"Why didn't you save me?"

Then she repeated it again and again, voices joined until it became a messy chant.

"Why didn't you save me?"

Over and over again, I covered my eyes as tears began to spill out of my eyes. The chant still clear as the light of day.

"Do you still love me?"

This made me look up, I was now in a field of wheat. I saw _________ standing in the middle, wearing a knee length white, simple dress. Her hair flowing in the direction the wind took it, she walked away from me while her fingertips brushed ever so slightly against the wheat. A faint call was heard from behind me, I turned around and saw... myself.

It was me, except not me, I looked more mature, my hair was a bit shorter, and I wore a white button up shirt with black slacks. I stared as he started to walk over to __________, his hands in his pockets.

"What are you doing?"

He asked, wow his voice was pretty deep. Was my voice going to get deeper? Am I in the future, or an alternate reality? What was going on?

I saw ________ turn around, her face changed from one of surprise to adoration. She smiled softly and I gazed down at her stomach. She was pregnant! She rubbed her baby bump in a counter clockwise motion and turned around to look at her husband.