Self Taught

{Artist! Keith X Reader}

{Requested}

          The castle was buzzing with productivity as the Paladins prepared for another expedition to free an enslaved planet or destroy the Galra Empire's supply posts. Shiro was preoccupied in the training room, Allura was with Coran in the control room, setting coordinates for their mission, Hunk, Pidge, and Lance were in the Green Lion's hangar working up some new techie stuff. _______ decided to pass the time with a good book she had luckily brought along in her Galaxy Garrison bag when she was dragged along in Lance's 'Team bonding' shenanigan only to be stuck in space.

          She recalled the memory as if it had happened yesterday, ever since she was involved in this whole Defenders of the Universe, her life had been full of exhilarating adventures in saving extraterrestrial beings, something she would've never done if she was back on Earth. Speaking of which, being out in space really took it's toll on her, she was always fine with being away from home and family for a long period of time but, when she would think about how much they missed her, or how they don't know what she's doing, or if she's okay. Which is why she made a promise to herself that once this intergalactic war was over, she'd be able to return home safely to be reunited once again with her family. 

            _________ hummed quietly to herself as she made her way from the library to the lounge room with Lance's stolen device so she could listen to music while she read. She had to admit that he had a great taste in music. Her eyes scanned the words on the paper, music playing in her ears, she couldn't be more at peace. The doors to the lounge slid open and she walked in without taking her eyes off of the book.

        A certain Half Galran sat on the recliner, a notebook and pencil in hand along with many crumpled papers surrounding him. His face was contorted in deep concentration as he scribbled away, he bit his bottom lip as his brows furrowed. He didn't bother to look up to see __________ walk in and sit down on the far side of the recliner. 

          Frustrated, Keith ripped the paper from the notebook, crumpling it and setting it beside him, where all the other balled up paper was. He sat up and rubbed the bleariness out of his eyes. He looked around him and saw the mess he had made after many -failed- attempts of trying to practice proportions but he just couldn't get it right. He hadn't had the time to practice ever since he became a Paladin of Voltron, he needed a reference but there was nothing to to use.  He looked up and saw _________ sitting on the recliner with bright green head phones on and a book in her hand. She was leaning on the arm rest with her leg propped up, her head resting on her free hand. Keith glanced up at her and then back down at the blank notebook. The blank paper begging to be drawn on.

           The Red Paladin picked up his pencil and began to sketch, glancing up at the quiet girl every so often, his lines were sloppy, yet the figure was clear as day, after all it was just a sketch, the beginning of a journey to a masterpiece. The tip of his pencil glided smoothly over the blankness, different shapes and sizes to match the silhouette in front of him, he would pause to compare the proportions, often he would erase and wipe off the excess. Every so often he would pause when she would flip the page, and then she would go back to her previous position in which he would then continue to jot down more details.

     Drawing was one of Keith's favorite hobbies since he was a young boy. He would often draw to pass the time when he lived with his father because his father was always too busy to pay mind to Keith, Or to distract him from whatever was on his mind. As time progressed he got better, from drawing basic shapes and objects, to people, landscapes, and animals. Proportions were always his weakness but the more he would practice, the better he'd get. It always surprised people when they'd see him draw because of his appearance, he didn't look like someone who would really enjoy art.

            After half an hour passed, __________ yawned and closed her book, slipping the headphones off. She glanced around and her eyes met Keith's. He quickly averted his gaze down to the open notebook and continued to jot down more scribbles as his face heated up to a soft rose hue. The girl sat up and set the book beside her and tilted her head as she noticed all the crumpled papers that encircled the teen that sat across the room. She smiled softly as he quickly got up, knocking over the balled up paper from his lap, onto the floor. The redness on his face seemed to brighten in embarrassment as he bent over to clean up his mess, leaving his notebook and pencil behind on the cushions as he had his arms full of paper. He quickly walked out of the lounge room, the door sliding closed behind him. ____________ looked over at the notebook he left behind and stood up, strolling over to it.

          The small booklet was open but it was face down on the cushion, she lifted it up out of pure curiosity and flipped it over, only to be taken by surprise by a drawing. This was no ordinary drawing, it was semi-realistic with amazing shadows and depth with different shades of grey, smeared to give the drawing not so much of a rough edge. What really caught her eye was that the figure in the drawing was her, it looked like a black and white photograph except there was no background, it was just her relaxing on the couch. Her fingertips ran over the small, cursive, ever so slightly smuged signature at the bottom of the page. 

                                               K.Kogane 

       "I hope you don't mind that I used you as a reference." The voice almost made the girl jump out of her skin. She fumbled with the notebook before turning around and seeing Keith, rubbing the back of his neck whilst offering a lopsided smile. __________ felt her temperature rise as she let out a nervous laugh, embarrassed that she was caught snooping around in something that isn't hers. 

        "N-no, It isn't a problem at all. You're really good at drawing...did you take classes back on Earth?" She mentally scolded herself for stumbling over her words, nervously twiddling with the corner of the pristine paper. 

       "Thanks, I uh, just practice a lot. Self taught." He came off as really shy despite how reserved he usually was, he normally didn't have anyone to show his art to so he wasn't really used to getting feedback, which explained what a blushing mess he probably was right now. 

            ________ looked down at the drawing once more before holding out for Keith to take. "You probably want this back." She softly smiled and he took the booklet out of her hands, he glanced down for a brief moment before tearing the page out and handing it to her.

         "You can have it." Keith offered and ____________'s face brightened. 

     "Thanks Keith, That's very nice of you." Her eyes met his for a brief moment, he felt his heart skip a few beats as the heat rushed up his neck and to the tips of his ears. She opened her mouth to say something until she was interrupted by another voice.

     "Hey Mullet, how about you stop flirting with _________ and come to the control room? Allura needs all of us to be there." 

          Lance stood by the door with his hands stuffed in the pockets of his jacket and an annoyed look on his face, Pidge and Hunk snickering behind him. _________ groaned and covered her face with the paper, it was hard to tell whether Keith was red with anger or embarrassment, most likely both.