Chapter 44

•Edited•

~Claire~

I sat up in bed as a bloodcurdling scream filled the air.
Sirius followed my lead, both of us rushing to get out of bed.

The screaming continued as Sirius and I ran down the hall to my parents room.

We pushed the door open to find my mum sobbing over my dad.

"Mum what happened?!" I asked, running over to her.
"I-I don't know! He's not breathing!" Mum sobbed.

My heart stopped as I stood frozen in place.

Sirius rushes past me, checking for a pulse as he dials 999.

A sob escapes my mouth as I clasp my hand over my mouth.
Sirius frantically searched for a pulse, which only worried me more.

The ringing of the phone stopped as someone picked up, and Mum walked forward to take the phone from Sirius.

"My husband isn't breathing!" Mum sobbed.

I couldn't make out what the attendant was saying, but whatever it was it was frustrating mum.

"I can't just calm down! My husband isn't breathing!" Mum exclaimed.

Mum told the receptionist the address, and soon enough people were flooding into the room.

Mum and I clung to each other as they crowded around dad.

We were both sobbing, and I knew Sirius was struggling not to cry as he wrapped his arms around me.

It felt like hours passed before someone said anything, and it was a paramedic that had broken the silence.

"Ma'am," He spoke.
"Y-Yes?" Mum choked.
"I'm very sorry for your loss," He mumbled.

Loud sobs escaped both mine and mums mouths.

"H-How? What happened?" Sirius questioned.
"Nothing seems to have been wrong. I guess it was just his time to go," He sighed.

That was all I heard after that.

My ears were ringing.

My body was numb.

I could hear Sirius's voice but my body gave no response as I fell to the ground in a heap of sobs.

I saw mum fall against the wall.

Sirius followed me to the ground. His arms around me as he tried to calm me.

I continued to sob. Tears falling from my burning eyes.

Two days ago I thought I hated my father for what he did to Sirius and I, but after listening to him apologize yesterday, I proved myself wrong. I loved him.

And now he's dead.

There's no sugarcoating it.

He's dead.

The words echoed in my head.

He's dead. He's dead. He's dead.

"Shh, It's going to be okay," Sirius's soothing voice spoke.
"N-No it's not," I cried.
"It may not seem like it now, but it will be," Sirius said, stroking my hair.

His voice was shaking, and I could see the tears welling up in his eyes.

"Don't hold it in Sirius. It's okay to cry," I mumbled, tears of my own falling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The whole week was filled with emotions.

Sadness.
Anger.
Guilt.
Confusion.

Mum had locked herself in her room for the first few days, leaving Sirius and I to plan the funeral on our own. This had only made me mad that she would leave this weight on our shoulders, and that led to a huge argument that ended with everyone feeling guilty, and ultimately caused confusion.

Sirius had been the leader in a way.

He was the reason we were able to plan and have the funeral.
He was the reason I was able to get up on that dreadful morning.
The reason I was able to talk about my dead father in front of all the people experiencing the loss of Scott Bennet.

And after that, he was the reason I got through everyday.

He got me through the rest of June and July, and more than half of August.

In that time Lily and Camellia came over multiple times with the guys to try and make me happy, but that never worked.

All they did was say they were sorry, and tried to pretend like it didn't happen.
But that's not what I needed, and Sirius knew that.

What I needed was time.

Time to mourn. Time to grieve. Time to accept the fact that he was dead.

And he did give me time. Two months to be exact.

And he was prepared to give more, but I couldn't continue like that.

So I declared that I would no longer spend my time dwelling on what I could have done, but rather what he did.

He was a brilliant man. A brilliant father. And just because he passed away does not make him any less brilliant.

So we did something that was very spur of the moment.

Actually all it took was a nights worth of catalogs and some tea.

And we bought a house.

We had decided that mum would be struggling without dad, and didn't need the burden of feeding three mouths.

And the result landed us in the middle of a forest where a small house lay.

It wasn't a lot, but it would be our home.

Something we could be happy about. Something that made us smile. Something that gave us hope.

Hope for a better future.

Hope that we would survive this war with rings on our fingers and babies in our arms.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry?

I know, I'm horrible. But it had to happen!

It had to be a short chapter.

Sorry, not funny, got it.

I'm sorry that he died, he wasn't originally going to, but he was also not originally going to apologize. So I made him a good man......but then I killed him.

I will say though.

Scott's not going to be the only death............I'm a monster geez.

On a better note, Dancing In The Rain just reached 10,000 reads!
I mean I literally just did a 9,000 reads Authors note four days ago! How did you guys do that?! I'm so glad you're all enjoying this – I hope you're enjoying this – and I hope this chapter wasn't that terrible!

Anyway, hope I didn't ruin your day!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~