51

Omniscient
Ashly was on her way back to her grandparents house after she went shopping, out to eat and spending some time alone at the park. When she first arrived at their house last month Ashly honestly felt numb, lost, emotional & empty but now that she was in the mood to get out she felt better. She had a genuine smile across her face, she was singing along to the songs in her car, she was just feeling so good. She felt like a huge weight was lifted off of her shoulders.

When she arrived home she didn't see their cars anywhere. She walked towards the house and went inside.

"Pat!" She yelled out soon as she walked in. When she turned back around from locking the door she saw him walking into the living room.

"Wassup?"

"Where's grandma and granddaddy?"

"Granddad went to Mr. Palmer's barber shop like he always do and grandma went to the grocery store."

"Oh okay. Did you find my charger?"

"Yeah I find it and thank you."

"You're welcome. And look what I brought today."

She told him as she pulled out a Nike shoebox and lifted up one of the green Nike Huaraches.

"Ooh these nice. Why you didn't buy me a pair?"

"Because every time I used to buy you something you used to always be picking."

"You could've sent me a picture and let me see them."

"I could've but I didn't." She smiled and put her shoes and clothes away in her closet.

"Hey Ash."

"Yes?"

"We're close cousins right? Like we have a brother & sister relationship right?"

"Yeah, ever since we were in diapers and walking around with our sippy cups in our hands." She giggled thinking about it. "Why you ask?"

Patrick didn't really want to just come right out and say what he had to say. He was trying to find some type of way to word his question without making her upset. Because if he did she would wonder how he knew.

"I just wanted to make sure we were still tight. You know let you know that I'm always here for you. To dry your eyes, lean/cry on my shoulder, protect you, and whoop a nixga's ass."

"I appreciate that Pat but trust me I'm fine."

"Alright I'm just letting you know."

"Hey you want to go in the living room and watch The Five Heartbeats movie?"

"Yeah. We're going to do the song Duck & his sister did?"

"Oh you know we are, that's one of our favorite songs."

They both went into the living room and popped the movie in and watched it. Just like everyone else does when they watch the movie, Ashly and Patrick got up, did the moves and sung the songs. When their grandparents entered the house they were in the middle of singing "I Got Nothing but Love" and boy was Angela tickled at her grandchildren. Seeing Ashly smiling and laughing with her cousin warmed Angela's heart and it brought her to ease knowing that her grand baby had a genuine smile on her face and she wasn't moping around the house.

"Sing it babies!" She yelled and clapped her hands as she watched them sing along.

______