5 - The Kiss

I keep calm and give Tristan an answer when I realize he waits for one. "I will always fulfill my duties."

"Yes, you do." He nods once more, still observing me but then his look roams over the empty table. "Well, we now have an empty spot in the council and need to find a replacement for Warlow as fast as we can; especially because of the circumstances." His look wanders back to me, searching for clear eye contact. "I suggested you take over his position in the council."

I am not able to keep the calmness as my jaw drops.

"What? Me?" My eyes widen searching for the joke on Tristan's face. When he stays serious, my mind eventually starts working again.

"He was a diplomat! A diplomat, who was responsible for the beasts," I try to make my point but this maybe does not count as a real argument.

Tristan seems slightly amused when I mention the beasts. "Ambassador for ethical affairs, Ethan," he starts to correct me. Ethical affairs! Me! Something in my head screams that this maybe is the moment where I should start laughing and leave the room, but before I could plot out my escape plan, he keeps on talking.

"Yes, I nominated you," he nods but then shrugs, "Among all those vampires out there; it is you I trust the most. Under normal circumstances, they would never even consider you joining them, Ethan. They know you, and they know what you did and how you are, but all of a sudden after this assault to one of their own members they can't think of someone better for bringing back order."

He slightly smirks. "There is a possibility that I have mentioned that it is not too farfetched, that the beasts or one of the renegades there are involved in this case."

"I don't care what they think, Tristan. It is never a good idea to bring people together against a shared enemy out of fear. In this case especially because it is the only enemy they know," I tell him while leaving the etiquette aside and ignore that he obviously told half-truths in the meeting.

Then again, I told him not to tell the council about my findings on the bodies. I wonder what information Erwin shared with them. Maybe I should find that out soon.

"I told them that I will ask you. I want you on that post, Ethan, but if you feel like this is a burden you can't bare and the duties and challenges that come with it are too hard..."

There it was. He pushed my buttons.

Blankly staring at Tristan, I straighten out of pride, but still cannot wrap my head around the fact that he wants me to join in politics. I am good at what I do; am I not? I found a spot in this damned world that accepts me, why is he doing that? I frown while still thinking.

"I won't be able to personally protect you anymore ... at least not the way I do now; and the guards. I know that the plan was that Eve should be able to take over whenever necessary, but she is not ready for that Tristan." I give him food for his thoughts. In my mind, I also add that I am not ready for this, but of course, I would never tell Tristan.

"I want you on this seat, Ethan," he repeats, "It's the first and maybe last opportunity to get you into the council. In addition, I think - apart from everything else - that you are the man for this matter. If it really had something to do with the beasts: you will sort this out and bring everything back to order. Discreet, but thoroughly," he masterfully talks around my mentioned worries and moves straight to putting some more pressure on me.

How would I ever be able to say no to a guy I owe my life and also the position I have now? Without Tristan, I most probably would be in the middle of Europe now. Waiting for the next war, I can be part of; or dead. When I think about it - most probably I would be dead.