52 - Law of War

The humans do not need long to bring their first wounded staff members. Most of those still being able to walk without support are also dressed in uniforms. There are also a lot of maids and butlers around already. The main cave is getting noisier at the grunts and low whimpers from the victims of the fire. Still, they are surprisingly silent.

They are taking care of each other as good as they can, using the water and clothes that we brought in the night before. I did not wake anybody in the tunnels yet. More hands would not be of use during the daytime. It is better they gather more strength instead and wake up well rested. As far as I can see, those city dwellers will need our help and not only shelter.

Ethan is still leaning on the side of the cave but almost every time I look at him, another human is standing there asking questions or waiting for instructions. The day passes by and the cave is filled with the scent of the blood we all tried to wash away to make it easier to breathe. I took a seat next to the entrance of the tunnels a while ago because I realized that most of those humans are afraid of my appearance. The overwhelming scent of the fresh blood worries me, though.

Before they sun dawns and they can bring the first wounded vampires the Butcher decides that he has rested enough and starts pacing through the main cave. His orders are short but the humans hurry to follow and arrange to waste less space and use the supplies with more care.

I have to smirk at the sight. A warmonger and drill instructor – that is what he is, but he is also resourceful. Although his eyes are slightly gleaming, I get the feeling that within this chaos and all the pain around he is more comfortable than ever before. I cannot tell if his bearing changed already the day before, but now he is walking straight and tense, his pride and confidence clearly displayed.

He takes an appraising look at the flames of our fire pit. I also noticed the shivers of the humans. We will run short on furs and definitely need more sources of heating when the night comes.

"Mister Vinge, where to bring Dr. Johnson?" two guards with an unconscious man in their midst ask.

"What happened to him?"

"We are not exactly sure. He has no burnings or other visible injuries besides the little ones on his hands. The maids found him like that in his rooms as we started evacuating," the guard sums it up.

"I see," Ethan replies before slapping the unconscious man. The guards do not even have the time to take a step back as the doctor nearly jumps out of their grip with a sudden life in his body I could not have imagined.

"Fire!" Doctor Johnson shouts out with his eyes wide open. "Good morning, Erwin," Ethan says coldly but the doctor keeps on talking unimpressed. "Ethan? There is a fire! I swear it was not me this time! I did no further experiments with fire, since you told me," I can see Ethan rolling his eyes, "Well, all right I have to confess I did, but not with black powder..."

"Erwin―," the Butcher tries to be part of the conversation.

"...but I got these nice mirrors to test the effects of the sun on our skin. It is fascinating. I can tell you would be impressed by what empirical findings I was able to obtain so far."

"Erwin―"

"Even though I need to be more cautious about what I to―"

"Erwin!" the Butcher barks with flashed up eyes. There is silence for a moment and both of them just stare at each other. The doctor then starts to observe his environment.