33 - The Banishment

The clearing in the woods is just big enough for most of the beasts standing in front of the little stage we built to let everybody get a look at Charles Holmwood. Soon also at the other mysterious criminal that will join the beast's rows once the ceremony is over. The full moon is shining bright and dips the trees and grass into a pale shade of their true colors.

Fortunately, it's not raining tonight, but the wind is slightly blowing over our heads before shaking the trees ever so lightly. The rustle leaves betray that it's still autumn and not all trees are ready yet to start their winter sleep.

We brought around two dozen guards with their finest and most official uniforms. We even created a special one for Eve to fit into the picture. I can see the looks she gets from the beasts. They try to figure out who she is and why she has the honor to stand in front of all of them.

Everybody already arrived last night. First, the servants came to built the tents for the elites, then the guards arrived and in the end the higher member of the society. In the middle of the clearing, the beasts started a fire as a symbol for the fire of war we once had to tame.

Not all of the council members are present, but next to Tristan there is the Frog. He will need to talk to Lyall about the upcoming trades.

Nobody left behind in the headquarters know what we are really doing here. Even though there are official guests here who we should bring to safety as soon as possible. They are oblivious to the true happenings but we had to stick to the traditional ceremony. This also includes a celebration after the successful transition.

Usually, this would be the part I'd be long gone and wait for the next night. People never felt too comfortable next to me. They only ignored me when I was watching over Tristan.

The ritual couldn't be less of a farce. As the still official minister of ethical affairs, I need to sentence Charles Holmwood into banishment. I can see the hate in his eyes and he doesn't know how much I can relate to that when I give my speech.

Handing over the word to the Frog, he has the honor to announce the banishment of the second criminal tonight. I step aside and start my path to Eve. With her standing in front of the rows of guards, she gives me a look as if I'm about to spoil all our plans.

I unbutton my uniforms jacket and can see her raising her eyebrows in confusion. I can also see some realization at Lyall's face about the mysterious second criminal when I start to move.

I take off my jacket and lay it over Eve's shoulders, giving her a warm smile. I really hope she will be fine and that I was able to teach her enough to stand her ground against so many men.

"Ethan?" she asks silently, but I only drag her into my arms for a short but necessary hug.

"Take care of Tristan, Lass," I whisper into her ear before I let go of her with her mouth agape. Nodding to Lester and Lloyd behind her they come to stand on her left and right.

"It's about time. Don't disappoint her," I tell them and both of them nod in understanding. They will be her and Tristan's personal guards and they agreed to that a whole while ago already. The two of them always acted like brothers in mind and I know that they will do their best. Both respect Eve as a commander and as a woman. They are my best men: loyal and strong. Who else would I choose for Tristan and her?

I light myself a cigarette before rolling up one of my sleeves and finally come to stand next to Charles Holmwood at the platform. Taking my stance, I puff up and take a look at the guy next to me.

"Guess we share more than the two of us thought." I keep on smoking, while the Frog finally starts his speech.

"Our second criminal tonight is Ethan Vinge. He is sentenced for his crimes against humanity and as a consequence of neglecting his duties. He got caught in the act of enslaving, torturing and finally killing his victim Henriette McDonnelly."