35 - The Punishment

Lyall comes to stand in front of me while another one of his men shoulders Maria and picks up the knife I lost during my fight with her. I would like to straight out, but I don't dare to move as his witty eyes observe my face while it starts to swell. Bruises are forming, I'm sure, but I try to concentrate on the face in front of me as he starts to speak.

"That was quite an interesting fight, I don't know how you are used to...", he keeps on talking but all I can hear is the rush of blood in my ears. "You will not....", it's very hard to concentrate but I follow the movements of his oddly formed lips. It still doesn't make any sense to me.

"...this means, we will...", and that's when I sink to my knees, not able to hold myself anymore. His lips stop to move but he narrows his eyes at me as a moan of pain finds it way out of my throat and I fall down with my face first. That's how it must feel like to die as a human.

I was not even able to slow down my fall with my arms but I'm not unconscious. I simply refuse to give in to it, but my options are rather little. Another painful grunt, when I try to place my arms next to me and get up again. How ridiculous that a warrior, like me, falls down into the dirt in front of someone who is about to tell him his further fate. I can feel the high from the spirits I took in; anger and energy of the fights and excitement about Tristan's love slowly drifting out of me; my crime against Maria starting to take its toll.

My shirt gets ripped up and I can feel someone pulling it away from my back. I won't give in. If I have learned one thing during the training with Sir Ronald, it's that it's only over when someone loses their head. Strong arms help me up before I can find a bit of grip on my feet again. My little victory doesn't last long as the shadows around my flickering and blurry vision turn upside down all of a sudden; equal to the feeling in my stomach. Then I start to move – but those are not my feet that make any progress. I growl out silently and mentally clench to the only thing that keeps me sane right now: Tristan's blood in me.

~~~~~~

When I make my way back to where we have been celebrating together I see Lester and Lloyd just standing hidden in the woods. They must have witnessed what just happened between Ethan and Tristan. Maybe they also already saw Ethan nearly killing that woman. I gulp and as soon as they catch sight of me, they hurry to catch up to me. "Ma'am, we just wanted to make sure you and Lord Blackwood are safe.", Lester informs me, but I don't answer. When we are close again to where we started to run I come to a halt, and my eyes search for Tristan from afar.

"Lester? Lloyd?", I ask and can't believe how weak my voice sounds. I really thought this would never affect me in any way but Tristan and Ethan indeed are in a romantic relationship. It's me who is between the two of them. I'll be the connection until Tristan forcefully brings Ethan back to London. My hands start to tremble and I'm not entirely sure why. If Lester and Lloyd really witnessed the same scenery I can talk about it with them, can I? Am I allowed to talk about it at all?

I close my eyes for a moment to collect my thoughts. At the end of the ceremony I was just mad with Ethan, but now? I still can't believe he killed Henriette. Both of them, including Tristan, made me believe she just left the headquarters. I liked her, she was not like me but I really hoped for her to become a close friend. I don't have too many friends, let alone female ones and it was really a strange feeling to start missing my banters with Ethan as he started his work as a council member.

I twitch as Lester and Lloyd suddenly wrap their arms around me, each one taking a side of me just to stabilize and keep me safe. I inhale sharply. "What are you doing?", I want to know. "We will protect you and Lord Blackwood.", Lloyd says calmly. "We will live up to the butcher's name." Lloyd adds: "Ethan Vinge will never die." I breathe out slowly and let them hold me for a moment.