37 - The Rebirth

Back in the little doorless room from Naveena she takes out a knife – my knife – from the little box. Her feet crossed and the little bowl in her lap she is about to sink it obvious haphazardly into the hares stomach, before I grab her wrist harshly.

She stares at me in shock, but I just shake my head and sit down next to her, taking the knife. I made this long enough to know that whatever she was about to do, it would have turned out into a mess and the fur would have been ruined. I also take the bowl and the hare showing her how to cut the throat open.

Luckily it must have been a fresh catch because the blood is running out fast and smooth. She looks at what I do, without a real intention to stop me. Good; at least something she trusts me with. At some point, the blood stops to drool out, so I hand her bowl, before skinning the animal in my hand with a single powerful pull. Naveena's eyes widen at the two parts in my hands. Did she never skin something? I thought they use all parts that are available? I wonder what they do with the meat.

"You have more hidden talents than I thought!", she says happily grinning. I just look at her, keeping my face straight. How does she not know? Is that what Etain meant? After laying down the meat and fur next to her she takes the bowl and I get up to move away. I don't want to be fed on animal blood, and for sure not from someone who is not even able to really care for their self. I slide down with my back to the wall that is the farthest away from her and she takes a look at me before taking the bowl to her lips, starting to drink.

I cross my feet and arms in front of me, closing my eyes to block my environment out. How do I want to continue? All options within my head either will start a war or end up with somebody hurt I try to protect. I can't just stick my head into the ground and play dead either, because the murderers are still out there and as long as they are alive, Tristan is in danger. Nora is in danger, too. For now, they should be safe, but who knows. As far as I can tell I don't have a real option. I need to stay cautious, waiting for an opportunity, and make the best out of my situation.

I still don't like Plan B and Tristan made it even more complicated. Bastard. I have to smile at the thought of him softly answering what a fool I am. I already miss his scent and presence. Running my hands through my hair I change my sitting to lay down my elbows on my knees. Naveena's scent is coming closer and when I open my eyes to see what's going on she sits right in front of me on her feet, slightly leaning to me. A glance at the bowl behind her tells me that she doesn't intend to feed me with that blood as its empty.

Her gray eyes observe my face. "I like your smile. You know, Connor is not so wrong with what he said.", a little sparkle darting over her eyes and I give her a skeptical look. What does that mean now? She licks her lips. "I know what you think.", she points out. "I am not the strongest and my talents are ... different. I'm no whore though.", she leans even more to me placing her hands on my chest and coming to an eye level with me.

"You are still not a pariah, you know? They make you believe it but to make sure you get this right: I am your caretaker. This means I am in charge of your blood intake and, as long as the others don't decide you are worth to be rehabilitated, you are at my mercy.", she moves forward to sit on my lap and wind her legs around my waist. I'm not sure what to think about that, but I won't push her away until I find out. My arms rest on her thighs. "I saw your disgust when it comes to the animal blood.", she grins and I roll my eyes. If it's necessary I will drink whatever I need.

"I should prepare you for your new diet, but actually, I like your body the way it is.", she slightly squeezes my chest, before moving her arms up around my neck. Her look drills into mine as I'm still trying to figure out what this is all about. Taking me by surprise she crashes her lips against my sore ones and I flinch before I push her away forcefully.