56 - Night of Change

"You look a little pale, brother," Connor tries to bring me out of my paralyzed stage. I keep on looking in Tobias' face, studying every single one of his features and movements, desperately trying to cope with the fact that the pain in my hand tells me that this is real.

The cold breeze of the night seems so much sharper as before, but the clear sky is giving me a very good sight at him in the light of the full moon. He is tilting his head and his eyes are slightly gleaming. Is this really my boy?

"Are you okay, darling?" Celeste's amusement about the situation and my fully flashed eyes irritate me even more.

"He will be soon," Tobias grins. "He is far too stubborn to die out of shock," he leans on the crane in front of him with both hands. "Until he is done with staring at me: How about talking a little business, my dearest Celeste?"

"You know each other?"

"You are dead," I breathe out, unable to speak louder than in a hushed tone and fully ignoring Celeste's question. Even if it is an illusion, I would like to keep it for a little longer.

"You should know best, right? After all, you killed me," Tobias laughs, "but let's be honest; aren't we all a little more dead than alive?"

My mind shifts to the darkest period of my life for a second and I reach up to clasp the chest where my heart should be. We are all a little more dead than alive. Right.

~~*~~

Darkness.

My eyes are closed, my hands rest on my belly, and my lips are slightly parted. She draped me like that, last time she had given me a little more blood to be able to stay awake. The earth and air around me are humid but my skin feels dried out, desperately longing for more moisture. Not the one any kind of water would be able to give me though.

I can feel the creatures of the earth slowly trying to make me one of their own or at least process my rotting flesh to be of use. The constant gnaw and the nibble of the rodents and insects became a never-ending pain and an everlasting proof, of me, still being alive. They made their way through my clothes, skin, and some even inside me.

This is her punishment. I dared to overrule her wishes.

Every week when Tobias is going to sell the goods at the market of the town, she lifts the wooden planks of the cabin floor, to feed me.

Just enough to keep me awake.

Just enough to keep me in this damn constant pain.

The wooden stake she rammed through my heart starts to rot. She did not notice as the time went by, but I do. I am waiting for my chance and I will use it to get my revenge. I can hear everything they are talking about, above me, in the cabin. Tobias voice is the only thing that keeps me sane.

She did not turn him yet; there is still a chance for me to make sure my boy is able to get more mature before he has to decide. There is still a chance he will have a peaceful life in the light.

I can also hear the lies Gwendolyn tells Tobias to get to his blood. I am truly a bad father, but she is also truly a bad mother.

No parent should ever touch a child like that.

No parent should ever use a child for his or her own pleasure and greed.

He would have earned something better as to be raised by monsters.

~~*~~

Tobias' eyes wander from my face to Celeste again and he takes her hands in his for a moment. As to how much amused his tone was before, the sadder it is now. "I'm afraid I did find something of importance to you." With his left, he pulls out a golden necklace with a pendant from his side pocket.