13 - The Mountain

I let my arms sink down as well. "I was told that you are a wise man. You know why you have to take potluck with me now, I guess?" I look around into the trees and bushes to see a little flash up from sharp teeth here and some curious eyes there, while Lyall seems to be confused.

"I don't know what you are speaking of, Vinge." He growls again and his wild eyes observe me.

"I would like to talk to you, and only you." I look him in the eye and have to grin. "Can we agree on being equal in this meeting? If so, you may call me Ethan," I offer him my first name as well.

Names are a difficult thing. At some point, names and titles mean absolutely nothing, but then again, the way someone gets addressed tells so much about a person. It's hard to distinguish which titles are given and which are earned.

"If we are so equal, you should have addressed me differently," he raises his head to look even taller than he already is. He starts walking around me and I can feel his gaze. "If you wish to speak with me alone, you at least need to get rid of that weapon you carry, friend." His words are filled with sarcasm as he pronounces the word friend.

I lick my lips. That doesn't start too well. "But, you have those pretty claws and I only have my charming face," I tell him before thinking further. I guess I should have taken his claw. Taking the ax into my hand, holding the handle tightly, I can hear Tristan's voice in my head. He tells me to play calm, to trust the peace.

Making a decision I swing it into the opposite direction of where Lyall is circling me at the moment. The ax sticks into the next tree there and I can hear rustling leaves. Most probably there was one of them hidden next to the tree and got startled.

"I never said, we need to make friends," turning only my face to Lyall. I can feel the tensions in the air and would love to fight that big guy. Not out of anger, but more out of curiosity. Is it possible that this animal-stage works out some strength I didn't know yet? I killed a lot of them, but Lyall's stage of being is new to me. I think I didn't see a beast that survived so long and maintained to keep a human lifestyle in a community.

"Good, because I don't make friends with your kind in

general," he finally growls. The thrown ax doesn't seem to impress him much. He stops, after he surrounded me one more time, getting closer to me and leaning his head to one side. "I can smell your curiosity," he murmurs. "Why do they all of a sudden send a beginner like you, huh?"

I have to honestly smile. That's such a good question. I would have liked to see that answered by myself.

"Beginner, hm? Maybe they think the best way to talk to you is plain honest anyway? What could go wrong?" I eye Lyall and out of an instinct straighten out. I really don't like to be the short guy. Seeing that Lyall is still eyeing me closely I add, "Of course I'm curious. I'm in this world for quite a while now and never had the chance to talk to someone like you," I make a short pause, "You seem like someone who is good at surviving."

Lyall grins; at least I think that's a grin. He turns around showing me his back before starting to walk away. I keep standing where I am until he turns around looking at me.

"What's up, Vinge? Follow me." He nods towards the cave, in which the beasts seem to stay over the day, but for now, it is empty. Good. He is willing to talk to me alone. Even though I'm surprised I try to act as if I expected that outcome and follow the wolf-like vampire.

The cave is pretty large and it leads into some more tunnels inside. The main room is decorated with hunting trophies - all made from big animals that most probably were caught by one of the tribe members.