28 - The Deal

Dusk is unfolding behind the heavy curtains in my room and my limbs are still entangled with Tristan's. I know what is about to come. We can't pretend that the world stopped turning just because the two of us want to share our bed forever.

A sigh leaves my chest as I turn to unwind myself from Tristan's embrace and face reality. Both of our appearances show that we didn't sleep peacefully. At least I didn't have another nightmare. Silently starting to shave in front of the sink I see Tristan getting dressed in the corner of the little mirror.

It was a selfish request that he stays here. I hope nobody asks any questions or tried to find him. On the other hand, who would maybe question him if it's not me? Eve maybe...

A clap on my butt drags me out of my thoughts. Looking up into Tristan's eyes through the mirror he hesitantly brings his mouth closer to the soft spot where my shoulder meets my throat, "One last drink before we are back on duty, my moon?"

I turn around to face him. "No blood." His gaze is drilling in mine.

"Now, since when are you denying blood? Or is it just mine?" I'm not sure where this is going to, but I really don't want to have that discussion. I can't explain it to him. His gaze turns into an angry glare and I straighten out.

"If we are equal as you say, you'll need to accept my decision," I answer keeping my face straight before turning around once more to finish my shaving.

A deep angry growl from Tristan can be heard before he is leaving without another word of goodbye. I sigh against the mirror looking at the man I am about to become. His heart will heal. He is a good and kind man with a lot of people around him that truly care for him. He doesn't need me – the real question is: Can I live without him?

I proceed with my morning routine before meeting up with the people of the council in the big meeting room with the oak table once again. It doesn't need long to come to a decision for Charles Holmwood. With the knowledge about my own sentence, all terms are generally settled.

They thought I'll go on their throats, killing, kicking and screaming when they tell me in the full open that my vote means nothing anymore. However, they picked up my plan and declared it was the one from Jacque anyway. I don't need a pat on the back from them and keep silently listening.

They also decide they wouldn't want to wait for my sentence to take into effect. Charles Holmwood's ceremony will also be mine. I let them discuss my further fate even though Tristan is shooting me angry glances now and then. They are darting through me like bolts but I keep my face and body straight and tense.

They finally close the meeting by trying to give me exact instructions about what I'm supposed to do and tell Lyall when I will go for our negotiations with the Beasts.

Their plan is full of errors. First of all, they are assuming that I stick to it and secondly, they think they

are in control of me now when it's actually the quite opposite, right? What else do I have to lose? I keep my eyes locked with Tristan's and get up. He nods once and I know that I'm allowed to do this my way.

"My Lord," I slightly bow my head to Tristan before I leave to order getting a horse ready. After my experience with the carriage the last time, I'll see how this one works out. It's not my favorite thing to do as I always loved to be in the infantry more than to act in the cavalry, but it's faster and I don't need anybody with me like last time.

I can do this all on my own.

However, I find myself in the woods that cross the border to the beasts just about a few hours later. The nostrils of my black horse are inflating nervously as we come closer to the barrier that protects the center of the little village the beasts have established. The warm breath of the horse vaporizes as little clouds in the already chilly air. I clap the throat of it tenderly to keep it calm and under control.