27 - The Change

Finally out of the meeting room I support myself on the wall for a moment to get myself together. This was fast, but it needs to happen and the faster the better, right? I don't know what they'll decide but either way, I know where I need to end up. At least I hope I know what I'm doing.

Wiping the cold sweat off my face that just started to break out on my forehead, I need to face it: I'm a criminal. Nothing has changed, but I am also a guard. Not only any guard but the Lord's guardian. I straighten out and do my usual control round inside the headquarters to check up about the guards.

They all greet me with respect as they always did and all of them are where they should be, even though we just doubled their shifts. I made it pretty clear, that they are the ones who need to protect this building and our people.

Finally, on my way back to my room Celeste turns around a corner and links her arm with mine without asking. Actually, I don't mind right now.

"Darling, everything's already settled?" she wants to know and I can tell that she wants to find out some secrets that she can sell. Maybe she also just wants to know about the trial outcome for Charles Holmwood on her own but I shake my head.

"There is no decision yet. It's not that easy," I narrow my eyes at her before releasing a silent sigh.

"What is it, Ethan?" she asks in an equal silent tone but I shake my head once more. To my surprise, she starts grinning amused.

"Oh dear, do those diplomats already annoy you so much? I hope my information was helpful."

"Indeed. How was your own little meeting?" I look down on
her while we still keep on walking towards my room.

"It was interesting. Nora is a bit shy, isn't she?" she wants to know and I shrug.

"I don't know." Her smile is honest now. This was a test if I told the truth about her not knowing me.

"I'll do it," she then fully agrees to our deal. Even though she says that I am worried about the upcoming troubles. I hope that there is nothing that can change her mind about it.

"But I also want to be your official secretary," she adds. She really wants to get to these stories.

"I don't intend to answer the letters now. There are more crucial things to take care of."

"You don't need to if you trust me to find the right words on my own," she still beams. I have to smirk. Why not? I'm about to get sentenced for killing Henriette and until then I wouldn't mind her getting a good laugh and maybe some interesting insider knowledge.

"You can take the letters with you right away, but don't forget the search for that Charlotte," I reply as we come to stand in front of my room.

A gleeful anticipation can be seen on her face when I hand over the bundle of letters to her. Someone's knocking at the door.

"It's open," I speak up and see Tristan entering with a grim expression.

"My Lord," Celeste and I bow our heads.

"I would need to talk to Ethan, Miss Lavertu," Tristan says monotone.

"That's all anyway, Cassy. Let me know when something changes," I say and she runs her fingertips from my hairline to my jaw.

"Everything for you, darling," she places a kiss on my cheek and leaves after curtseying to Tristan once more, "My Lord."

I was watching Tristan's face since he entered. He doesn't like what he sees but waits patiently until Celeste is gone and the door is closed behind her.