41 - The Truth II

I frown at Nora. "Did you already forget what I told you?" She eyes me but is silent. I sigh and put her down. Before I crouch in front of her once more I pull out the remaining straps of leather that still stick in my skin. "Lyall, you need to be careful with this one.", I look at him seriously and pointing at Nora. "She is a strong one." Lyall chuckles. "What are you talking, Butcher?" Nodding at Nora I show her my index finger.

"We need to show him.", I tell her and she grins showing me her right hand. Nodding once more to assure her she gives me a little push on my shoulder and I let myself fall back on the ground, not moving anymore. Nora's laughter sounds like ringing bells and the rustling leaves tell me that some more beasts came to see what is going on. I'm still not moving.

"Wow, you knocked him out!", I can hear Lyall laugh and Nora starts to head over to my head. I can smell her breath as she seems to crouch at my head. "Demon?", she asks worriedly. Oh, she keeps on calling me like that? I maybe should have told her my name instead. "Try to kiss his cheek, sweetheart. That always works with men.", I can hear Celeste and if my eyes would have been open, I would roll them now. It takes a few more moments but I feel Nora peck my forehead and I open my eyes. This time she doesn't run away but grins at me and I have to smile too as my heart seems to swell.

Getting up I point at Nora. "You see what she's capable of? I just can't beat her, I need to obey.", I tell Lyall and Nora wears her big grin like a shield. She looks exactly like Henriette. I get up completely, dusting off the dirt of my clothes. "Still, Cassy, why is she here? I thought we had an agreement.", I ask and she smiles at me. "I can only repeat myself. It wasn't me who wanted to see you so badly, darling." I take a look at Nora and she steps closer to hide behind my leg. I sigh. "You can't stay here, little angel. You need to go with Miss Lavertu. It's not safe here and you know what your sister said, don't you?", I scold her but she keeps her eyes tucked to the ground.

"She told me that your name is Demon. How come I'm not allowed to call you like that?", Celeste smirks. "Well... at least she doesn't call me an angel anymore.", I murmur and Lyall chuckles. Placing my hand on Nora's head to stroke along once I give her another moment to hide. "I bought the orphanage, Ethan.", Celeste all of a sudden says. "You did buy it?", I raise an eyebrow and she nods.

"It was a shame how so many pretty girl's faces were that dirty. It had no style and no flair and I recently got a bit of an inheritance from her father. Trust me, I will make it shine.", she chirps and I give her a smile. I don't remember ever smiling at her that genuine.

"Thank you, Celeste.", I say before I gently push Nora away. "Do what Miss Lavertu says and you will not only be the bravest and strongest but also the most beautiful angel. Can you do that for me?", I ask and reach out my pinky finger. "I'm already beautiful.", she pouts and I grin. "Yes, you are right. How dare I? Still... will you do what she says? Do you promise?" She nods and links her pinky finger with mine. I also nod before straightening out. 

"Lyall, the Mountain...", I turn to Lyall and his amused look changes to a serious one again. I know that he only did that for Nora, but I really need to talk to him. "We would need to talk. There are things you need to be aware of."

"Ladies first, right?", Celeste interrupts and Lyall looks at her. "Sure, I don't care." I can't overhear that annoyed tone and while Celeste and Lyall still exchange looks, Naveena sneaked up to Nora. A silent growl of warning from me and Nora is holding my foot tighter. Naveena takes in Nora's scent as I pick up Nora once again protectively. 

Nora, on the other hand, looks at Connor who is still standing behind me. "Your hair needs combing.", she all of a sudden says to him. "Auntie says if you do it regularly it doesn't hurt anymore.", she continues. An idea strikes my mind. "Nora? Would you like to take a little tour with Connor? I really need to talk to Auntie and Lyall.", I smile at Cassy's new nickname.