26 - The Trial

Instead of finding any answers in my head I tried to go on a hunt, but as soon as a victim was found I was not able to kill or even drink from her. I could smell the sickness creeping up her body and that there wouldn't be much longer until her body would give in, but I simply couldn't.

Henriette's face was flashing up first but then it was Nora's. If she'd see me with my fangs sunken into another human's neck, how would that change her? Would she understand? I really don't know, but I need blood.

A lot of blood. So I started to secretly plunder the storage before the night of the council meeting. Cassy was able to find some names that could be identified as Charles Holmwood on the passenger's lists and I was able to walk in here with at least a hint of that he speaks the truth. I don't blame her for not getting out more information. I should have thought about the passenger's lists far earlier.

I do believe that he killed, he obviously did, but I still feel some reluctance within me. With what I know, I can tell that Charles Holmwood by far is not the whole truth.

It doesn't matter if it happened like he just reports to the council or didn't. His look is resting on me or Tristan as he stands at the end of the big council table facing all twenty-five members. Taking my time to observe the others I try hard not to risk a look at Tristan.

The two guards next to Charles also seem to feel caught when I see them taking a glance at me. I can tell that this situation is as odd for them as for me. The grandfather clock in the corner is silently ticking, giving me the feeling that time is running out. Was it always that loud, even when I stood next to Tristan?

We got extra seats for the creators of the murdered newborns. They listen carefully to what Charles Holmwood has to say and I can clearly see that they are grieving. At the same time can relate to that poor soul with the big scar on his face and the uneven eyes.

They share his loss, even though he killed his fosterling on his own. The members keep on asking questions about his origin, his fosterling and the exact order of happenings.

It all sounds reasonable, and the information about the ships that I can give them backs up his story as proof of evidence. No matter if I feel uneasy or not, those are the facts and what we have so far.

When there are no questions left, we dismiss him and the guards bring him back to his far too luxury cell. He is still locked in the guestroom I brought him to in first place. Before that, he makes sure to apologize to the creators for not stopping his fosterling earlier. I can see that his words reach them and ease their bloodlust at least a little. They don't seem to breathe vengeance that much anymore. I get a glimpse of Tristan and he also realizes and relaxes a bit.

Next point on our agenda is the hearing of the creators themselves. One after the other they stand up and speak about their fosterlings, their relationships and how he or she developed. For sure all of them can tell that they have chosen the right person to turn. Everything went totally smooth with no troubles. Liars. I know for sure that it wasn't always that rosy for all of them.

Every vampire in this society is granted to turn one human, that's the law. In several cases, people can request for another permission to turn a second human, but that's barely requested and even less often approved. Sometimes a turning is earned or out of recruiting purpose; like Erwin was.

Especially the creator of the woman was not that honest. I got to take a closer look and found several discrepancies in her wounds. Some of them were from before her turning and even though I can't tell with hundred percent assurances he most probably handled her rather roughly.

The same is true for another man, but not for Angus McDonnelly. He was untouched, besides the usual marks that people get when they grow up. Scars are a part of our life, but I need to make sure I don't overlook a detail that maybe could be important.