47 - The Kidnapping

Before I can do or say anything Lyall raises his voice. "Don't even think about it. I'm his caretaker now and if you touch him without my permission I'll be your opponent. We know what happens when I have to fight you, Tristan." He turns his head to Ethan. "The same counts for you, butcher.", he says. I know what that means.

This is his answer to my war threat. I'm not sure that he knows what it means to try to control Ethan. Softly stroking over Ethan's wet hair I can feel him flinch. "Get up, soldier. I don't long for any more blood shading." As if I could force my heart to ever do that to him again.

Ethan rises to look me in the eye. "I know, I already told you several times in private but you seem to have forgotten. For whatever its worth I will once more repeat it in front of all these people here. The two of us are equal." I can hear several beasts sharply drawing in the air at my words.

"He is not part of your society anymore. This doesn't mean a thing. Here, he is not more than what I grant him to be.", Lyall responds.

"You are a threat to your environment, ferret. That's what you are." Étain jumps in and I can see Ethan nod.

"I agree. I am indeed a threat and not even close to being like you, Tristan.", he says. I don't think that he realizes that his contradiction is enough evidence to prove my point.

"The first time I killed I can't remember but I never stopped since then, no matter my situation. I was a slave, a prisoner, a mercenary and a soldier. Tristan, you made me a guard after there was no use for me otherwise and I'm truly thankful but it's over. I am a thief, a killer, a trickster, a liar and whatever I need to be to survive. I'm not to be trusted because killing is all I can and am and ever was. I can't be different and I don't intend to try." A cruel smirk forms on his face.

"If that's true, butcher, why did you try to rescue that little girl?" Lyall asks.

"Because I was foolish and revealed myself to her. I should have never given the promise to take care. This time I learned my lesson. I won't show any mercy anymore.", Ethan says bitterly.

He moves his head to look at Étain as if he expects her to say something to that.

She doesn't disappoint. "You mean that kind of mercy you showed Maria?" Étain blames him. "You call me a monster, kitten, but I'm just a reflection of what all of you want me to be. Do you really think I am creative enough to invent so much cruelty on my own? Everything I did to Maria was done to me before."

A confession that even I can't believe but he holds his head up high and the gleam in his eyes gives me the certainty that he is not lying. He straightens out. "Hate me as much as you want. I won't surrender."

Étain's answer is a low growl. "You also got your heart ripped out?"

"I get my heart ripped out every time I close my eyes!" he barks impulsively and I can see that he regrets it the moment he said it loud. I think it is about time to tell him why I'm really here and change the subject.

"Isaac Warlow, Dr. Andrej Nowak, Priscilla Wheeler, Wyatt Desmond, Angus McDonnelly, Ernest Buckman, Reed Lyness, Gene Stewart, Henriette McDonnelly, Charles Holmwood, a human woman bound to a pole, Maria,...", I list the names of the people who happened to be killed since all that began. I can't help but feel responsible for every single one mentioned.

"...and now most probably also Nora McDonnelly.", I finish and Ethan's head snaps to look at me. His shocked expression betrays that, contrary to what he just said, he really cares for the girl. Lyall told me how he treated her, while she was here but I was not able to imagine it. I would have loved to see that side of him.