10 - The Stranger

I throw the last piece of my cigarette out of the window and finally close it, dragging the heavy curtains in front of it before the rays of the sun can enter. The room is not completely dark as it would be in the middle of the night, but the candles are all out.

I make sure that there are no beams of light falling through the curtains before I turn to Henry. "Yes, little lady?" my voice sounds unfamiliar to me. All I need is another moment to make myself aware that I'm not even allowed to relax in my own room anymore as long as she is in here.

She clenches to her bed sheets, trying to hold it tight over her nearly naked upper body.

"I... I thought... the sun," she stammers while I turn around to grab a linen shirt and trousers to lay it down on the bed over her.

"If you feel uncomfortable, you can use these."

"I thought the sun hurts your kind?" she asks silently picking up the shirt and trying to get it on. I don't answer her but can see her grimace at the attempt to move her wounded shoulder. She tries to suppress the whimpering as the pain grows. Coming to help her in she twitches away from me.

"Don't be foolish, let me help you in. I can see the pain on your face."

"You can see me?" She blushes and presses the shirt against her chest. I roll my eyes. What does she think I saw when I bandaged her?

"Henriette, can we agree on the fact that I already saw your breasts and as an exchange, I will help you?" I try to convince her but there are more tears to come; silently floating over her cheeks. I guess, the drugs are now nearly out of her system and she realizes her situation. I sigh and shrug, before moving to light the oil lamp on the wall to give her more light.

"I brought you breakfast," I try to change the subject. "It's a chunk of bread and cheese. I also stole an apple." I unpack the food and grin at the apple. I remember the taste of it. It's sweet but also a bit sour. I'm not sure if it's still seen as a treat.

She looks at me and the food in my hands. "You stole it?"

I straighten out. "I won't give it back, so yes." Losing her grip on the shirt a bit she looks at me a little confused.

"Would you help me, please, Mister Vinge?" she says as silent as possible and I hardly can hide my grin. Rolling up the shirt I show her how she can slip in even without me touching her at all.

Looking at the trousers I get up again and turn my back to her. Starting to open and pretending to read a letter, while hearing her putting them on.

The bed's noises betray her finally getting up so I turn once more to see if she is fine. Her hair looks wild and the braid she had is only a mess with strands standing out all over. She holds the arm with the broken collarbone pressed at her chest. I should get her a sling for that; at least for the beginning.

"You will get your new dress tomorrow," I tell her when she sits down at the table. I hand her the bread and take the chair next to the bed back to the table. Finally, I really start to read the reports while she eats slowly.

Unfortunately, I was right with my guessing that there are not a lot of happenings that needed our attention. Some guys were celebrating and got caught while trying to lure a lady into a trap; the usual stories of drunken vampires that my guards can handle on their own.

Even if Warlow and his human companion screamed, the city is big and the usual patrol routes are about thirty minutes each way at least. We can't control every street all night long.

When I look up I catch Henry staring at me and trying to look away when she feels caught. Seeing her biting off the dry bread I take the cup from my table and fill it with some water for her. Placing it in front of her she thanks me first and then apologizes.