32 - The Stalker

The next days and nights are hard to bear, with preparations going full force and the official announcement from Tristan about the state of the whole coven. I had a rather interesting encounter with Celeste again.

She was complaining about the state of the orphanage and I had to pretend I can't agree, but in fact, I do. It's an awful place, but there is nothing I could do about it, but tell her that I have my own business to attend. Hell, yes I do.

One of it is to avoid any kind of private conversation with Tristan and somehow I get the feeling that he doesn't mind at all. He seems to accept my choice – at least I hope so.

Even if not, there is enough to prepare for the banishment ceremony. So it comes that I once more stand in front of Lyall's barrier. This time I don't need to say anything but it got opened the moment I arrive.

I guess they finally got, who I am. Why shouldn't they? I still suffer from the impact that Maria's claws had on my back, but it started to heal.

It started to heal slowly, as expected. I still had to regulate my blood intake to not attract unwanted attention. Even more because I didn't go on a hunt since Henriette's death and Erwin started to notice.

I lead the horse directly to the pole where I had it tied to the last time and can see Lyall coming over. Something is different though. It's not the fact that there are still a lot of eyes on me from the distant, this time it's more of a feeling that someone is following me intentionally. I narrow my eyes to the line of trees but nothing. Maybe I get paranoid after all.

For the first time, I didn't exchange my clothes to come here but wear my usual suit. Lyall seems a bit irritated by my appearance but doesn't say a thing. It's a short meeting about who will take care of which part of our plan. We also figure out a space close enough to the village to not make it too suspicious but still far enough away to provide a certain safety for his people.

Lyall nods slowly as we are about to close the conversation. "Alright, then we agree on the terms and conditions," his mouth corners twitch up as we get up and he pats my shoulder, "Ah, you will go through a hungry time, when you'll stay here until we get those bastards," he announces jokingly and unaware of how right he is.

I promised to stay with his people as long as it takes to make sure they are safe too. At least he will not be all too surprised that I'll stay.

"Unless you find a friend here who maybe is willing to share," he grins at me and drags me out of my thoughts.

"Careful, Lyall. Who knows? Maybe I beat you and take over here just to feed my hunger." I have to chuckle.

Since everything got so tense in the headquarters I have the feeling that life is much easier here. The casual way I can talk to Lyall makes my work far easier. "But as long as I have my charm... your ladies will love me, right?" I stick to the black humor I've recently developed. Well, maybe not recently developed but more of rediscovered.

Lyall still grins. "Well... you already have some fans here, my friend," he then mentions and I raise an eyebrow. He's fooling with me.

"Yeah, sure, I bet..." I say sarcastically but I'm still worried.

"Last time you said you would like to have some weapons. What kind of weapons are you picturing?" I ask seriously with my forehead in folds.

He lifts his claws to show them to me. "Certainly no knives, my friend. Something for the distance, like guns and pistols. The 'modern' stuff." I don't know when he started to call me a friend but I guess I should appreciate it. Especially because he said he won't make friends with my kind.