7 - The Training

"Henry..." My voice slightly cracks and I clear my throat. "Henry, look at me. Do you want to live?" I ask and she starts to cry and whimpers even more. Can I take that as a no? "Look at me. I am sorry... I'm sorry!"

I already killed so many other women, why does this one matter so much all of a sudden.

"Do you want to live? Henry!" I need to know. I will not let her suffer if she does not really want it.

"Yes... yes... dear Lord, help me... yes," she presses out between some heavy sobs. I think she is about to collapse. I need to calm her. I take her from the wall and slowly carry her over in my bed. The wound is bad, but it can get treatment.

"I know I'm the last one from whom you want to hear this now, but you need to trust me. I'll correct my mistake. You will live. I promise." I cup her face with my hands for a moment to force her to look at me.

"Do you understand me? You will live, if you want to," I take off my shirt to press it against her wound and she nearly screams aloud at the sudden impact. I am able to put my hand over her mouth fast enough so that nobody hears her. Damn it. I will become minister of ethical affairs and have a woman with a critical wound in my bed. This is not good.

I need to calm her and get Erwin in here. Fast and unnoticed. He has the necessary equipment and experience. The only experience I have is the first aid from the battlefields. Unlike any vampires, she will not heal fast enough to make sure she will survive with that.

Damn it, damn it, damn it. Think carefully, Ethan! Think!

Then it clicks. I take her hands and press it against the shirt over her wound. "You need to hold this for a moment, little lady." I stroke over her forehead which starts to be covered in sweat. She stares at me blankly and I cannot blame her. I think she is in shock. That is why she is not screaming. She gave in to me and I did that to her. I just approved the rumors about me. It is true that I am a monster and a brute.

I am rummaging around in one of my cabinet drawers. I know that it must be here somewhere. I am not too proud of it, but I am not only smoking tobacco. When I find the little box with the rolled opium cigarettes, I take one out and look at her, as she is still staring at me.

I do not think that she will take it just because I tell her to take it. I need to trick her. I light the opium and take an initial draw. Well, I also need to calm now.

Thinking about it, I can only see one way. I get over to her taking another draw and start to search eye contact with her.

"I will make the pain go away, okay?" I murmur before I take another deep breath, taking her face into my hands. Her eyes widen, when I come close to her face with mine to try as softly as possible but with as much force as needed to press my lips against hers and the smoke into her lungs.

She tries to free herself and coughs when I keep my mouth over hers and my fingers over her nose. I need to make sure she has no other option than to breathe through me.

After she realizes I will not give in, I take over the pressing against her shoulder again. I need to stop the bleeding. She is not able to move up her arm high enough to press against the wound. I guess moving up hurts too much.

"Good, good," I whisper when I let go for a moment and repeat the procedure a few times until she finally starts to breath more steady.

"Look at me," I force her chin in my direction, "Henry, is it better now? I need to get you a doctor, but I cannot bring you there. Do you understand that? I will have to leave to get him here."

She grabs my arm and tries to hold me but her grip is even for a human woman fairly weak. She says no word so I repeat my question. I wonder if she understands me. To my surprise, she is not cursing, or blaming me or trying to fight me right now but just holds me.