51 - The Gates

"Yes, Sir..." Wilburn says while breathing heavily. The last time he will do so is obviously not too far away. "I can't guarantee your safety or future wages at that point. I cannot even tell you for sure that your wounds will heal in a way ours do. The moment you wake your pain will be far worse than it is now, but it will eventually get better until you are adapted to the changes," his grip on my hand slightly tightens, "You will need to swallow the blood I give you," I clarify only to see him blink the tears away.

"I understand and accept."

I rip open my wrist with my fangs. My hands are shaking from the thought what I need to do now and my eyes wander to Lyall. His expression changes as he sees the fear plastered across my otherwise emotionless face.

"I need your help..." I nearly whisper. After a moment of irritation, he comes closer to kneel down next to us. "Why?" He asks looking at my bleeding wrist. I clench my teeth. "I never successfully turned someone. I need to make sure this man's last wish will work out. Lyall, please..."

My eyes start to gleam as I speak and Lyall looks at the dying guard. "He already suffers. You should let his soul go and find some peace," he then says calmly. Wilburn's right arm slips out of mine to reach over to grab Lyall. "I need to feed my family," Wilburn presses out, "I... I don't need to see them, but I need to feed them," his grip loosening on Lyall's arm after that.

"I beg you, Lyall," I say before seeing him still standing to his words from before. I grit my teeth so tight that my jaw starts to hurt. I need to do it on my own... I will seal another fate. Why do I have to make decisions like these?

The man in front of me starts to get limp as the unconsciousness finally wins the fight. I curse before biting my wrist once again and shoving it into Wilburn's mouth. I need to stay strong. I need to be what this dying man in front me needs the most and this is a creator.

Shaking his body, the pain I cause seems to wake him at least long enough to try to get some air. Instead of air, he gets some gulps of my blood; so far so good.

Damn you, Lyall!

You, and your unforgiving face.

You, and your stupid attitude!

I hate you!

My mind is racing, but my body starts moving.

I splatter my blood all over Wilburn's face. Next, I rip off the molded uniform pieces from his arm and cover the wound in my own blood too. I take a deep breath first before I also rip off both of my own shirt's sleeves to use the cloth as a bandage for his head. It takes me two attempts to get it right, but as I look down his left arm, I realize the cloth I have is too little for that.

I take off my leather armor from my shinbones and wrap it tightly around his wounded arm. That should do. At least I hope so, what else could I do?

I get up and look at my work. It is not professional but I hope it is enough. He does not earn to live an eternity with those obvious scars – if he will survive this at all. With a pull at the guard's neck, I release him. He is dead; for now. I frown deeply when I look up to Lyall.

It is also then when I realize my own heavy breathing and the trembling hands that I have tightly pressed against my sides. My head starts to spin and I am sick in my stomach. I need to calm. I need to get away from here. Lyall's eyes observing me closely. I can feel them silently judging me.

I cannot run from this. I need to become Tristan's first in line again, right now. Tensing up I reach out to the lifeless body on the ground to pick it up. "Did you just turn a human in my territory?" Lyall asks with his face indefinable and I nod. "That's what I hope..."