12 - Welcome to the Beasts

I recognize the upcoming whispers and stares when I get so close to Henriette and even lean down to her. I make sure that I don't hold her too tight, so she can breathe well and get enough air. Still I want to give her the feeling that I got her back and that she's not alone.

Unfortunately, I catch Tristan's look from where he stands, looking at me; staring at me. Those who don't know him as well as I do will not realize what I see. I have to concentrate now and will deal with that later.

They will not dare to laugh at me and I hope Henriette knows

what I'm doing here for her. Giving Cassy a cold stare before I clear my throat I can see her smile disappearing and her mouth half open in surprise.

I start an old song, called Mrs. McGrath, which is about a mother of a young soldier who gets into the war. I have chosen it because not only it can be divided into the parts of the son and the ones of the mother but also because it's an honest text about how war is. It's brutal and those who are at the front can't always control their faith. The son comes back crippled.

(If you want to hear the song Ethan sings with Henriette - this is it! Thanks to Andrew & Casey Calhoun for creating such a nice interpretation. All credits go to them, please have a look at their channel. I just stumbled across this when researching for the song "Mrs. McGrath".)

Henriette knows exactly when she has to start to sing and I can feel her leaning a bit on me first but then straightening out to get a bit louder and more air to do so. Good girl. The song is not too long but when we finish I lean once more down to whisper, "Well done, little lady."

I take her hand in mine to step next to her and bow down.

It's pretty silent and I guess the guests are just irritated. Our voices are nothing special but in the end, the only thing I wanted to achieve is to not let Henry lose face. Now the only gossip that may spread is that we have any kind of relationship or that I have a pretty weird taste in music; or both.

I never told anybody that I'm Irish, even though I'm sure some suspected it, but that I will ever step up to sing an Irish song about war for anybody is something that not even
I would have guessed.

Finally, Tristan ends the silence by starting to clap and smile at us. The others also start applauding while I hurry to get away from the middle of the room with Henry. The only one who still just looks at us without another reaction is

Celeste.

"Thank you so much, Sir. I'm so sorry," Henriette whispers while she blushes. I squeeze her hand.

"All fine now. Please excuse me; I have to talk to Celeste for a moment." When Cassy sees me coming over to her she puts on another acted smile and greets me happily.

"Oh Ethan, that was wonderful, I didn't know you enjoy singing too. I love to find out new sides of yours," she congratulates me. I also put on a smile.

A cold one. One that obviously doesn't reach my eyes.

"Thank you, Cassy. Now, listen closely because I won't repeat myself. If you ever try something like that again, I will replace you within the time it takes to blink." Her smile changes into a surprised and suddenly hurt expression.

"Don't overrate your uniqueness. I like your work, but everybody can get replaced; even such pretty faces like yours." I'm not sure what she thinks at the moment but I've never seen that expression on her face.