24 - About Angels and Demons

I look at the little girl in front of me. Her brown hair is straight and full of filth. Her eyes observe me with a mixture of fear and curiosity. The dirt sticks to her cheeks and clothes. She doesn't say a thing but just stands there and waits for me to move out of the shadows. I guess she is about five, maybe a bit older. "Hello, little lady," I start silently and she tilts her head.

"Are you an angel?" she asks bluntly.
"Why do you think that?" I want to know irritated.

"My sister told me about you. Are you?" she asks and I smile.

"Henriette told you that?" Her eyes widen at my words.

"You know her, so it is you?" she whispers and it is then when I can see that she tries to stay strong but tears start to float down her cheeks.

"Why are you crying?" I step in front of her and kneel down to face her. "Hm?" I want to know and she sobs.

"Henry said... she said..." she gasps for air and I lay down my hands on her shoulders.

"Shhh... calm down, everything's okay," I console her and she fights back the tears. Brave little girl. I take out a necklace with a pendant. "I brought you a present," I say while taking one of her hands and lay it down there.

Her small fingers open the pendant to take a look inside. I take it back to place it safely around her neck. "You know what?" I say and my eyes start to gleam. Her hazel eyes inspect my face and I can nearly see her wondering why my eyes seem to be different now.

"I'm not an angel, your sister... she knows what I really am, but you are a clever girl too, aren't you?" I ask and she nods. "Are you also a brave one?" she waits a few moments before wiping off the tears. "Yes, you are, Nora," she looks at me trying not to start crying again.

"I'm a demon," I say silently but can see the tears coming back before I can keep on talking. "Are you afraid?" I want to know and she only nods all tensed up. Leaning my head to the right I look at her as if I'm thinking hard.

"I'm not sure that I'm allowed to tell you a secret, but Henry told you about angels already, right?" She nods again clutching her hands around the little pendant I gave her.

"You are the angel, Nora. Henry wanted me to believe in angels and here you stand. Do you know how to prove that?" I caught her curiosity.

"You are far stronger than me," I whisper with my hand next to my mouth and she still eyes me without saying anything. I guess I will need to show her, to break the ice. Shifting around my feet I sit down in front of her with my feet crossed.

"Show me your hand," but she doesn't move. I guess she is truly related to Henry. Slowly reaching out I take her hand and drag her softly to touch my shoulder. "Try it. Push me," she takes back her hand shyly first but the longer I smile at her the more I can see her gathering some courage.

After a few more moments she reaches out her hand to give me a little push on my shoulder. Immediately I let myself fall back and lying on the floor with my arms widespread. She giggles for a moment but as I don't move anymore, she becomes silent again.

It's so easy to make children happy for a short moment, no matter what else is happening around. "Mister?" she then asks insecurely. I can hear her walk around to take a look at my face. Keeping my eyes closed I wait for her further reactions.

She is walking around once more before I can feel the small hands trying to push up my head a bit. That's the moment I open one of my eyes and out of shock my head slips out of her hands and hits the floor. Hurrying to get away from me, I can nearly see Henry in her features.

I sit up rubbing the back of my head. "Ouch," I say and she looks at me.

"I'm sorry," a silent whisper and I have to smile.