20 - Tainted Love

I finally got hold of Celeste in one of the salons I barely visit. She is talking to a man who keeps on making compliments every second sentence. She laughs at his comments, while I come to join them. The vampire next to her is not happy but I put on a cold smile and interrupt their conversation anyway.

"Celeste! What a nice sight in the salon. Just what the doctor ordered in such times, right, Sir?" I ask the other vampire and he nods hesitantly.

"Oh dear, always flattering!" Cassy smiles before leaning over to me to give me a short hug. The man next to her is shocked, but I know her long enough to be sure that she won't care about a jealous man.

Even though he excuses himself and Celeste is not even thinking twice to also hug the surprised poor soul before he finally leaves; with a smile on his face. "Mister Sykes was about to leave anyway," her smile slips out of her face.

We don't always have music in our salons but since Warlow got murdered Tristan endeavors to keep the mood of the elite vampires in the mansion up. I can imagine that it's not that easy.

Some of them are watching me and Celeste already and I'm not sure what they expect. I offer her my hand and she takes a look at the black glove.

"Would you give me the honor of that dance?" I ask politely and her eyes narrow at me.

"It's alright, darling," she takes my hand but only to come a bit closer. "There is little chance anyone interrupts Ethan and risks to get on the receiving end of his anger. What does trouble you so much that you come to find me?" a kinky smile on her face. I would like to just drag her out of that room and yell my orders in her face, but it won't work that way.

Instead, I forcefully lead her to the dance floor where already two other couples are dancing. "Celeste?" I silently hiss at her. She grins and gives in to my lead.

"How do you feel about helping me out a bit?" I keep my silent tone. None of the others will be able to hear us due to the music.

She sighs a bit disappointed. "No matter what I do, we both know you are always only looking out for me when there is work to do," she pouts intentionally bad acted.

I knew she is still upset about the ceremony. It's time to show her my recovered romantic vein. Straightening out, I get her a bit closer than usual and I can see a smile forming on her face. "Is that how you like your gossip, Cassy?" I ask charmingly.

"Rumors are like a marshland, Ethan. One can get drawn in so easily, but if it's well-tended, it gives birth to wonderful flowers. Last time you made it pretty clear, that you might want to get yourself, someone, more..." she struggles for a moment, "someone who fits your needs better."

I can see that this hurt her. I need to prevent myself from rolling my eyes. Finding someone else I can trust with the given tasks would take a lot of efforts now, and she has all the connections to people that are needed. She knows that as well as I.

"What if I don't want to deal with someone else?" She looks surprised that I really said that and I have to grin. She purses her lips.

"Would you walk out with me now? No matter what the gossip will be? I'd consider that as a proper apologize," she proposes and I move her around once more to lay her in my arms for a moment.

"Well, then. Let's head outside of here." I keep on grinning as I limk her arm with mine and we both walk out of the salon.

My smile disappears as soon as we are in the aisle. I didn't

know I can fake that this well. "So?" I slightly look down at her and her smile still shines brightly.

"That was wonderful, my dear!" she giggles. "What can I do for you?" looking shyly through her eyelashes.