46 - The Confession II

The butcher and Miss Lavertu are kneeling in the dirt, his arms tightly around her. She takes his upper arms and begs him to rescue her. I keep a close eye on them. I won't allow him to kill another vampire tonight, no matter if she doesn't want to get rescued by me or not. I already gave in and finally let all the hotheads get a shot at his fighting skills.

I start to understand what his work for Tristan meant for him. The question is, if he enjoys it or if he hides behind it. This little girl seems to like him and he sheltered her without a second thought. Instead of coming after Maria first for example. His priorities and intentions were clear.

The approach tonight was brutal though, but I also know that if I wouldn't let him kill her, my problems would have doubled. Étain will need to live with the loss of her lover. Since the day the butcher arrived, she was not really stable anyway. It was only a matter of time until she would have turned on any of us. That it hit that little girl though, was not okay. A lot of the men and women who came here because of him have their personal grudge against him, but Maria...

I also blame myself for Étain's misery. Deep inside I know that she was right and Maria would have needed help, but we have no place for someone like her. There are so many other problems that need attention and Étain can't put one woman's welfare above that of all the others in the tribe.

Even though Étain and I just became partners because we are both strong enough to rule, I always figured we treat each other with respect. My affair with Naveena seems to have hurt her more than I thought. We always had that kind of relationship with others now and then; I really haven't considered that to be a problem. I also tolerated Maria in her bed.

Seeing the butcher out of his mind in front of me now I start to doubt my latest decisions about him, but I need to go with it. As a leader, you are always wiser after choosing a path. Sometimes one is able to adjust and sometimes, like now, there is no way back. I need to be careful and do damage control if necessary.

Miss Lavertu repeats her plead to get rescued and this time the butcher draws away for a moment and looks at her. His eyes are glassy and confusion clearly displayed. Whatever he was smoking before, it didn't mix well with the spirits of killing. I saw men and women equally losing their minds after such an act and I really hope that this isn't what happens to him right now.

"I'm sorry, Gwen...", he murmurs. "Is that so?", she answers and takes his cheeks in her hands. My eyes widen at her next move. With a harsh jolt, she breaks his neck and gets up while the butcher slips to the ground. "Sorry, my ass!", she yells at him angrily. "People are standing in a queue to see me on stage and you bastard are drinking from me in public and don't even remember my name?!"

My people all look at her equally surprised. This man just knocked out two hands full of men. Then he killed a woman, before offering her a heart he stole. All she took away from that is that he didn't remember her name in his state of mind? That's bold. A string of French cursing phrases slips silently out her mouth.

It takes her a deep breath and a moment of closing her eyes before she turns out to be the same charming woman as she was before. With deft fingers, she takes out a little mirror and a handkerchief from the hidden pockets in her dress. A deep sigh as she starts cleaning her neck. "He messed up my hair, didn't he? Always the same with those men..."

Here I stand and thought the Irish are crazy. "I think I just fell in love." I can hear Connor as if he has nothing else to worry about. Guess there is a reason why she seems to be so deeply connected with the butcher.

***

Tobias didn't speak to me as I pack a few things. He is mad at me because I don't want to turn him. I tried to tell him what my reasons are but it's useless. All he ever knew was how I lived and I can't deny that he is right. For him, there is no reason to be afraid of anything.