29 - The Cat with Claws

"We are living an honest life here. Everything is a bit more like in the old days," Lyall explains.

"You mean when you were still like me?" I tilt my head fully aware that there is a possibility of finding a trigger I shouldn't pull. He just shakes his head.

"I rather mean the old days when the right was spoken by strength and blades and not words written on paper," he keeps on smiling in the rather dark cave.

I would agree and despite my knowledge that even Tristan said something similar a while back, I'm sure he wouldn't agree now. "Maybe you are right, at least people would know their places far earlier. Still, there is a lot of cruelty that this paperwork got rid of," I say in a weak attempt to defend a point of view I don't agree with on my own.

"I see Tristan's influence in you. As if the world lost any of its cruelty," he shakes his head. "It was more honest back then and you know it as well as me. I felt it last time and I can see it the way you are acting and talking. When this deal works out the way we both want it to and you bring men in here, they will need to accept our rules. If not I will not hesitate to introduce them to our punishments," he says strictly. I simply nod.

"I trained most of them, they know very well about consequences," I snarl at the hidden threat. He is talking about blood.

"Well then, let's keep it honest," he also snarls and gets up. "Who is that other criminal?"

"I can't tell you his name, as this was a silent agreement and even the trial was excluded from the public," I answer shortly before also rising myself and straighten out. He eyes me.

"A prominent member of the society that finally got caught?" he asks and I grin.

"A true asshole. Nobody will miss him, but still, we don't want any more rumors with all that other incidents lately."

He nods once more. "Anything else I need to know before I start gathering my people?"

"How long will it take until you can come to a decision? The plan requires a bit of official preparation on our side too," I ask. He thinks for a moment.

"Some of my people are in the outskirts. It will take until tomorrow night at least to have them all here and come to a decision even when we use the tunnels," he says and I wonder to what extent those tunnels are underneath the woods.

Both of us head outside and I check the position of the moon. Lyall takes a look at me. "I don't know how much you trust in the speed of that horse of yours but if it's not necessary I wouldn't risk it. You can stay here for the day if you want," he speaks out what I was about to think through.

I straighten out at the invite. "I'll work in exchange for shelter. I hate that I, for the second time, got here and can't bring anything but bad news. Even though times are rough, let me offer my hands tonight. I want to help with anything," He smiles genuinely at my offer and takes a glance at my gloves for a moment.

"If you want to help - we need to renew a part of our barricade. The wood fouls too fast. It would be better if we could secure it with parts of metal in the future," shooting me a meaningful look I know what he wants to tell me. I make a mental note.

"Then I'll help exchange the wood there for now, and next time you should be able to make that lasting longer."

"Good. If you are really serious about this, I will hand you over to Étain. She is responsible for the distribution of work," he starts walking and I follow.

"I'm a man of my word, and there is not a lot I can do before I get a decision from you and your people. I'd rather be of use here than sitting in the headquarters, smoking and waiting." I also rather work here than to answer questions to Tristan.