62 - The End

"Eve, you will stay in the base," I let her know and she already wants to start her protests as I keep on talking. "You need to remember the lessons I gave you. Control the fog of war, control our soldiers, yell your orders as loud as possible and as often as necessary," I remind her. "You are perfect for this. I believe in you, my Lass."

She doesn't answer but only looks at me sternly. I rotate the ax in the palm of my hand, staring outside and a little unsure if I should tell her the other thing. I guess, she needs to know.

"And, Eve," I turn to look her deep into the eye, "When I start to attack our own people, make sure to bring them out of my way or let Étain's squad shoot me in the head."

"What?" She blinks confused and I sigh. Lyall who is next to her nods in my direction.

"Tristan mentioned it," he says and I nod. I forgot that even though none of my guards were watching me ever fight in one of our true battles, he was at least already around at that time. "We will handle it if it comes to that."

I can see Eve rolling her eyes in annoyance. I'm not sure Tristan ever told her.

"There is no if. I will take a lot of lives tonight," I answer before a loud bang can be heard. The sun dawned. They started the final preparations outside and for sure try to break through the gate. Lyall does his best to briefly explain to Eve the effects of the rush of blood some soldiers have during a battle. I know the effects on me and I can't wait for them.

Another loud bang against the gate and Étain's squad starts to climb the trees to position around the clearing. Lyall and the other beasts are also heading outside to form a front that protects the main cave's entrance. I really hope that the civilians and wounded went far enough into the tunnel system.

My eye catches the lonely ax that is still sticking to the tree where I threw it all these months ago. I have to grin while pulling it out and testing the two axes in my hands. This is just how I used to fight. It's perfect.

Then we wait. Another bang at the gates before I start pacing in front of the rows of beasts, guards, humans, vampires... It doesn't matter who or what we are. It's only about what we fight for. Lyall made them all bind some cloth around their arms to make it easier to identify who is on our side.

I growl out loud and then Lyall and the beasts are answering with their own growls before the other vampires join. The tensions are so high that we need to fuel the spirits that make us brave; the inner turmoil that gives us strength. I know exactly what I will lose with this fight and I could not care less.

A crack can be heard at the next bang at the gates and then some arrows are flying through the air, followed by gunfire and another bang that breaks the tree trunks in front of us. The enemy throws bombs that cause a lot of fog right in front of us with the sole purpose to create confusion and chaos.

I jumpstart forward into the gray wall of illusion. People nowadays call me butcher because they fear my torture methods. They call me butcher because they are afraid of my anger. The truth is, they started to call me butcher because I weaken the enemy by cutting off limbs with my axes.

I start my killing spree with the first vampire guard I can identify, fighting for the wrong side. I don't fear for my sanity, because I won't need the last piece of humanity I have within me anymore. Quite the opposite.

The spirits and blood of the utterly surprised deserter flow into me, while he is unable to defend himself. He has no arms in place anymore, which he could use. This time I manage to stay awake. The butcher is back, able to control his killing to a certain degree. The trick is not to take the last sip, that's what I figured out a while ago, but Maria was special. It awakened my long lost lust for death.