61 - End of an Era

It takes Tobias quite a while to calm down. My fingers constantly brushing through his golden hair while he laid his forehead against my leather breast harness. I have to smile at the silence that surrounds us. I would like to just freeze reality right here. This moment. I sigh deeply.

A last moment of peace.

"When will they come to get you?" I ask softly and he sighs too.

"In the best case? In two nights, I guess. Today they will recollect their strength. Even though I used whatever Naveena told me about disguising my scent, they will count one and one together, knowing I'm here with you."

"I won't let them harm you," I place a soft kiss at the top of his head. He tenses at my action and I let go of him to move over to the entrance.

"I love you," he whispers at my back and I stand still only for a moment.

"People tend to live longer when they do not. So, I'd advise sticking to the hate you have for me. Hold on to it. It will guide you." My words sound more bitter than I thought they will. "Take your time to get yourself together. I'll be in the main cave."

At the back of my head, the idea that I may be really have lost Tristan starts to throb, but I push it back. It would mean that Eve is right and I have no clue how to handle that. I also need to follow my own advice and stick to my hate. Directing it at Charles Holmwood.

Back in the main cave, I assess the situation. I sigh.

"You do that a lot, since that meeting," Lyall says coming to stand next to me. I arch a brow at him.

"You sigh a lot." He explains and I nod. I guess he is right. "What did you mean with maybe you will solve the bloodlust of your people my way?" He then wants to know with honest worry on his face.

Something at his bearing changed dramatically. Is it because I was stubborn enough to stand still a few more seconds than him at our fight? It was definitely not my most glorious victory. I wonder when he lost a fight the last time. If it was before they came here, I do not wonder he forgot how it feels.

"Your way always brought people closer together," I grin at him. "How do you feel about a little celebration?"

"How can you think about that with all what just happened?" he is truly irritated.

"It is about time the vampires from London understand that your people are not obliged to what they offer. They do this because they know how it is to have nowhere to go," I sigh once more before I have to chuckle about my behavior. Lyall joins in and pats my shoulder.

"I didn't know that you managed to make friends so easily," Tobias is about to limp out of the tunnels and comes to stand next to Lyall. The relaxed atmosphere is gone the moment Lyall looks at him.

"Excuse me, I'll go and see if I can come up with some beer and whatever your doctor is willing to give back from the booze." Lyall leaves to the extension tents.

"Guess he is still mad at me," Tobias cracks a smile.

"You can consider yourself lucky, he is one of the most balanced vampires I have ever met."

"I consider myself lucky to be with you now," he beams and I gesture him to sit down at a small table in a corner. It takes a little, but the beasts are fully in as Lyall announces the little. There is not enough alcohol left to really get drunk, but with the substances, the beasts bring to smoke there is enough possibility to lower the conversational hurdles.

Connor is actually one of those who brings together the beasts and humans as well as some of the elite vampires the best. He is like a missing link. The human servant ladies seem to like him a lot and that he enables them to touch the fur-like hair of some of the beasts, as much as the claws. Most beasts are not offended but like to talk about their appearances and changes. They are proud of them.