57 - The Leader

Lyall's eyes are reflecting the moonlight and his oddly shaped mouth is a mixture of anger and pain. A moment later, he starts running at me as he did at our first fight. This time I roll to the side instead of even trying to make him fall.

He is furious. There will be nothing left from me when he is able to get a hold of me. As our bodies seem to start an awkward dance where our fists and feet are desperately longing for the blood of the other I realize that the only thing that drives him is anger. Is that how I usually appear to my opponents when I let go of some steam? While I move out of his reach wherever I can, he tries to sink his claws into me whenever he comes close enough.

There is not even a single moment as it was at our first fight. There is no respect or unspoken rules. The wounds at my arms and upper body are far deeper. He does not try to show me some boundaries; he is aiming to teach me my place. This time I am at least able to heal, but this is still very exhausting. I can feel my arms pounding and throbbing where I had the burnings from the sun.

While Tristan's blood for sure made me stronger, it does not make sense to deny that the last happenings had their impact too. Even though, this time it is different; this time I will make sure that he gets how serious I am. Nobody controls me like that ever again.

I am not going to stay his prisoner.

Some of the beasts which are closest to Étain started to mark the sidelines and make sure we are staying in the area she seems to feel fitting. I thought that the crowd will start to cheer up Lyall, but they are extraordinary silent. Our panting, low growls, and grunts are the only sounds that are filling the night as the moon starts to make its path over the horizon. Even nature seemed to be interested in our fight, holding its breath and not giving us a single breeze or shake of trees.

We both take a little break after a while, pacing at the opposite side of the circular fighting area. Our senses are sharpened but our bodies start to feel the impact of the tensed fight. Usually, I am fueled by my anger but I ran dry and cannot really distinguish why.

"That show is a little boring, hm?" Tobias states in Celeste's direction.

"You better shut up, stranger," Étain threatens instantly.

"Or what? Will you teach me a lesson, beautiful? I'd show you things you'll never forget again," he licks his lips.

"Tobias," I growl scolding with my eyes still resting on Lyall. His chest heaves and his tensed muscles are clearly visible under his tight black hair. He growls lowly at the fact that I let myself distract from our fight.

"What? She started it!" he pouts.

"We both know that I'd be the one who ends it, no matter who started it!" He does not get what situation we are in, I assume. Or does he? Do I know? What if I am still not back to reality?

"I'd not be so sure about that, ferret," Étain adds with a bad glare into Tobias' direction.

Lyall's angry face stares at me and I straighten out for a moment to ease my stiff muscles. I need to concentrate now. I had to go through so much, just to find Tobias again. It does not matter if it is real or not. I am not going to lose him now and if that means to find my anger and dig out all feelings, I tried to avoid within me. So be it.

~~*~~

Ethan's eyes flash up to a bright green and his stance changes once more. His usual straight face is not plain serious anymore but his grin broadens.

"I'm not going to let you kill any of ours," I state, looking at the feral woman.

"I'm not one of yours, Lady Blackwood," the Hunter points out coldly.