Story Secrets - Ethan (Spoilers!)

Names are very important in this story and yet they are not at all as several people having different synonyms. Ever wondered why some of the names in the story seem to fit better together than others and what it's all about? And what does the sign that Tobias carves on all his weapons mean?

Yes - there is a meaning behind all that. Let me help you understand.

~~*~~

First Names:

ETHAN - originally was a biblical Hebrew name (Eythan), meaning "solid, enduring, long-lived" and was adopted by English Puritans in the 17th century. When you dig deeper into the Old Testament, you find a man who supposedly has written Psalm 89. If you find yourself reading it, you will find out why he sees himself as Tristan's moon and sword.

KILLIAN  -  This name has various origins. Gaelic adoption is from Cillin. Cill means 'church' while the second half of the original name is used to refer to a beloved pet (Yes, exactly... Henry got it!). The Celtic origin Ceallach means 'war' or 'fight'. 

Others: 

Eve (life), Etáin (passion/jealousy), Erwin (respected friend), Edward (fortunate guardian), Tobias (God is good) - special: Thomas (twin), Tristan (noise/bold), Henriette (estate ruler), Andrej (man/warrior - think about it ;)), Naveena (new), Nora (Irish form: honor), Connor (wisdom/counsel/aid/dog lover - *giggle*), Celeste (heavenly), Charlotte (free man), Charles (free man - surprise! :)), Lyall (Scottish: Wolf; It usually used as last name... yes, that's intended), Lester (walled city), Lloyd (gray - the real thing is that it is also from Wales, just like Tristan's name), Gwendolyn (shining moon - exactly, the circle is closed. Ethan thinks he is to Tristan what she was to him)

I could say much more about certain names there but I leave it at that :)

~~*~~

Name Connections:

E - Eve, Erwin, Etáin, (Edward Low):

Their personalities resemble each other. They are similar but their background and origin are different so developed differently. Those characters never lied to Ethan. They also always question him in a constructive manner.

T - Tobias (Thomas), Tristan:

The closest people to Ethan. He loves them. They also love him but give him a hard time and lie to him in the true believe they can help him with that.

H - Henriette: She is the middle of Ethan's change just like the H is the middle of his name. ;) There is nobody else that stirred his mind in a way to make him give up to hunt humans and remind him about his human side. 

A - Andrej (aka Dr. Nowak):

The stranger that causes another change in Ethan's life. He is the cause of Tristan's mistrust. Even though he does not seem to be connected to Tobias, he is a member of the Society of Light which tries to bring the cure for sun sensitivity to the vampires. Tobias is the head council of this and came back from Middle Europe with him. He also inspired Ethan to not fear the sunlight.

N - Nora, Naveena, (Ned Low):

The true victims of this case. Ethan tries to keep them away from him but in the end, they save his sanity and human appearance. Naveena saves Nora because she understands. Both of them have faith in his good side right from the beginning. Naveena knows that Connor is also sent from Tobias to spy and report to him.

Wait, what about the others?

C (onflict) - Connor & Celeste, Charlotte (& Charles)

By the end it clear that they meant for each other, right? :) They both care for Ethan but made mistakes that brought him into danger. Celeste was selling information to Tobias, while Connor got turned and used as a spy by him. They also both got tricked by him. 

How does Charlotte fit in there? We never meet her, but let me tell you this, she would fit perfectly in the same personality frame.

L (oyalty) - Lyall, Lester, Lloyd

They try to protect their people and do their best. They are the most tolerant people in this story. They try to understand and do what helps to create a peaceful environment. It is more obvious with Lyall, but Lester and Lloyd are also true guardians. 

Special Mention:

Charles Holmwood (aka Edward Low aka Ned Low): Ned Low was a real person. First, he was a commander in the West Indies for the British crown and then turned into a pirate captain. Born in 1690 in London and most probably executed by the British in 1724 on a Carribean Island. A special trait known is that he never harmed women. Therefore, he does break up the collaboration with Tobias the moment he dared to use a dead woman to send a message to Ethan.

His different names in the story touch different parts of Ethan's personality. 

Edward is meant to be the human part who turned into a pirate for the wish of freedom and to find justice. 

Charles is the conflict. He brings chaos and distracts Ethan from the true culprit. 

Ned is a victim of the British Empire and in this case also of Tobias and his false game. 

~~*~~

What about the carvings/sign?

Did you realize that Gwendolyn nicknames Tobias 'Agra'? This is also the sign that is carved on the weapons in a sign language called Oghám. 

Ogham was mostly found in Scotland and Ireland, written on tombstones. It is not clear if it was used as a tool for communication. The wood, it most probably could have been carved at, was rotten before it could be found.

Agra means 'sweetheart' and most probably originates from 'grádh' which means the same in Gaelic. This is also the name Ethan cannot remember that Tobias gave his bow when he was little.

~~*~~

That's it (for now). I'm not entirely sure I covered everything (lost my notes).  Let me know if you have any additional questions.