59 - The Reality

"You..." is all I can manage to say.

"Yes me. Who else? Somebody had to have your back. I was a little irritated that you did not feed on Shaun's heart to ease the pain," he says casually as if it is the most natural thing in the world.

I lower my eyes to my feet and rub my forehead at the memory of the bolt. That is all too much for my head. It is spinning and I feel sick in my stomach as the truth is hitting me harder than ever before.

He led that armed assault and shot me out of the dark. I am almost sure it must have been him.

He carved the weapons. The symbol was not a threat. It was a message.

I was searching for the lover of Gwendolyn I did not manage to kill and found one I actually already killed. It makes sense, as I am sure he wants to see me suffer for what I did that night so long ago. Maybe he really hates me after all. I was not able to defeat my inner demons over all these years, why should I assume he has. Maybe I am the demon he needs to defeat to find peace.

I am so sorry Henriette. You suffered because of a monster that I created. 

Taking a deep breath, I turn to my guards. "Those of you, who feel well enough to work, go to the next clearing and ask Étain where to help. Lester, ask her what sitting work can be done in the cave. I do not want to see any of you just whining. Make yourself useful."

"But, Sir, I ―"

"Did I ask for your opinion?" I glare at Lester before he salutes.

"No, Sir."

"Then do as I said."

Lester nods and then leaves with another look at Eve who nods at him. Somehow, this scene looks oddly familiar, but I cannot point my finger at it why.

"Not even a single sign of thanks?" Tobias asks disappointed. I really cannot hold it in anymore. It is all so frustrating. I hate myself. I hate the situation we are in, equally to the fact that I still care or better said bother to care.

My fault was so simple I really should have thought about it earlier. I was searching for one single entity of equal minded vampires that are after me. In fact, there was Tobias, trying to attract my attention for whatever reason and then there was this whole vampire circle around Charlotte. They have never been after me. It was about Tristan. I should have known.

Thinking once more about Henriette her last words start to ring in my ears. She did not want me to kill anybody. She tried to call me by my old name. Trying to give me the last piece of information, she had another name to add to the list, next to Charles Holmwood and that Charlotte from the West Indies. Mine.

"If you think any harder, there will be steam coming out of your ears as it comes out of the chimneys of the factories," Tobias laughs.

I look around just to realize that half of my guards are already gone with Lester, while Celeste, Eve, and he are standing in a circle in front of me. Celeste has my leather armor and ax in her arms while Eve looks at me appraisingly.

"We need to eradicate the danger to make sure we will be able to rebuild Tristan's kingdom," she then says and I nod but Tobias shakes his head.

"Father, this is not our war."

"Who paid you to kill Dr. Nowak?" Eve asks Tobias and his lighthearted smile plasters his face again.

"Nobody. He caused troubles for Father and I needed to prove my loyalty to find out more about Charlotte," he then shrugs, "It hurt a little to lose Shaun, but oh well..."

"Why, my son? Why didn't you just come to me?" I cannot help but ask the most obvious question. The reaction of Celeste and Eve tells me that something is off. Tobias just keeps on smiling at me.