Chapter 25

~Lillian POV~
(1 month later)

"Good morning, Lillian! Your first day of school is today!" Pippa says. It wakes me up. I sit up in my bed.

"Okay ." I tell her. She hugs me and helps me get dressed. Then she braids my hair. Then I eat breakfast with Lin and Pippa. We get in the car after breakfast and drive to school. My bunny is in my backpack. I'm scared the other kids will laugh if they see it. The other kids will laugh at me because I don't have a mommy and daddy. I'm scared. We get to my school and Lin and Pippa walk me in to my classroom, hug me, and say goodbye. I find my name tag and sit down at my desk. I look around at all the other kids. The teacher claps and everyone sits down.

"Okay class. We have a new student with us today! Lillian! Could you please stand up?" She says. I stand up. "What's your name and how old are you?"

"I'm Lillian and I'm five." I say.

"Where do your parents work Lillian? What do they do for a job?" She asks nicely. I sniffle then I start to cry. I miss my mommy and daddy. "Lillian? Are you okay? Come here." My teacher, Miss Elise says. I go up by her. She waves to our helper teacher, Miss Alysha, and Miss Alysha goes to the front of the class and starts teaching. "Follow me, Lillian. Is everything okay sweetie?" She asks. I shake my head, still crying. "Do you want to talk about it?" She asks. I shake my head again. She leads me to a room with chairs in it. There's a big desk and a lady sits behind it. Miss Elise talks to the lady. Then the lady call someone on the phone. Then the lady talks to Miss Elise again. Miss Elise leaves the room. I just sit in the chair crying. It reminds me of when mommy and daddy died and I was crying alone in a chair. That makes me cry harder. Then Miss Elise comes back with someone behind her. It's Ellie! Ellie walks over and gives me a hug.

"Shh. Lillian, it's okay." She says. But I still keep crying. Ellie is fourteen whole years old. Her full name is Ellie Mae Jackson. Her daddy is Lin's friend Chris. Ellie talks to me. She makes me feel a little better but I'm still scared and sad and crying. "Lilly, do you want me to tell them why you're crying?" Ellie asks. I shake my head no. "Lilly, why not?"

"The other kids will laugh at me." I say, crying.

"Oh Lillian. No they won't." Ellie says, putting her hand on my shoulder. "It's not your fault." She says. Then, I hear the door open.

"THAYNE!" I yell.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~Thayne POV~

I open the door to the school's office to see Lilly's teacher talking to a secretary and Lilly talking to Chris' daughter, Ellie.

"THAYNE!" Lilly yells. Poor little thing. She's crying hard and it looks like she has been for a while. She runs over to me and I pick her up.

"Shhhh. You're okay Lilly-bug. Nothing is going to happen." I say comfortingly. "Hi Ellie." I say as I wave to the concerned teen. Lilly and Ellie are best friends, despite the age difference. They met at the theater one day. I'm glad Ellie  goes to school here and she was able to somewhat comfort Lillian. Pippa went crazy when the call came through. Her and Lin have a mandatory touch up rehearsal that they can't leave from today. They to,d the office to get Ellie and then found me to send over here.

"Is she going to be okay?" Ellie asks.

"Yeah. She'll be fine. She just got reminded of everything. She's only five. It's got to be hard on her." I say. Ellie nods. Then one of the teachers come tell Ellie she can go back to class. I thank Ellie and then she leaves. Lillian has her head on my shoulder, and she's still crying, but not as hard.

"Mr...?" A teacher asks me.

"Jasperson." I answer. She nods.

"Mr. Jasperson, do you have any idea what made her cry?" The teacher asks.

"I have an idea. But what happened right before she started crying?"

"We asked her what you and your wife did for a job. Then she just started crying. Is it your job that made her cry? Don't you act?" She asks.

"She doesn't have parents." I say. The teacher looks confused. I look at Lillian. She's not crying, but she's still lightly whimpering.

"What do you mean she has no parents? Aren't you her father?"

"No, I'm not her father. No, I don't have a wife. No I'm not married. Although my boyfriend and I are talking about it."

"So then who are her parents? She can't not have parents...?" The teacher asks, genuinely confused.

"We shouldn't discuss this right now. Where's her backpack? There's something in it that she needs."

"It's in her cubby. Follow me." The teacher says. I follow her, still carrying (the banner) Lillian. We walk into the kindergarten classroom. Lillian buries her head into my shoulder as if she doesn't want to be seen. I hug her tightly. We stand in the doorway as the teacher retrieves Lillian's backpack. All the kids turn their heads and look at us. They're all so cute! I love kids. That's why I volunteer at my church for the kids program. Groff and I want to adopt a little kid someday. The teacher, whose name I learned, is Miss Elise, comes back to us and hands me Lillian's backpack. I immediately open it and retrieve Lilly's bunny. I give it to Lil and she cuddles it. We leave the classroom and head back to the office. We sit down at a table. "Okay, what did you mean when you said she has no parents? And if you aren't her father, what is your relation to her?"

"I'll start from the beginning."

------------
1021 words-excluding A/N

A/N
Soooooooooo, here's a good chapter to make up for last weeks horrible one. And it's late time wise, but it's still the weekend! In other news, I've gotten more and more into Newsies in the last week and I flipping love it so much!! That's really all I have to say. Sorry for the lack of posts on my other two books lately. I've been trying to get this one back on track because it's my main priority. See y'all next week!

THE POOR GUY'S HEAD IS SPINNING

❤️~K