Chapter 23

Milan 

"Their mother's funeral

"Their mother's funeral..." I heard whoever Gionni was talking to say from the other side of the door. 

I walked up behind him, grabbing his attention, he just looked at me and continued his conversation. "Their mom? What happened to her?" he asked. 

"They found her in an alley a few blocks over from where she hung out..." the lady began to speak, seeming like she was slurring words. "Overdose" she finished. 

"Look Ms. Thomas.. I'm sorry for your lost.. I really am but you can't just show up here, thinking imma just let you take them any where" G said. "What we can do is, wait for them to wake up, and I can ask them if they want to go, if so, we'll bring them to Atlanta for the funeral" 

The lady chuckled, "You really think these ya damn kids.. don't you wanna be free, running around here with all these kids that ain't even yours, and tagging this poor girl along" she said, and I decided to chime in. 

"Umm, I'm sure we haven't met before but i'm Milan" I said sticking my hand out for a shake. "For the record, nobody tagging me along through anything, I love Jarell and Layla as if I did give brith to them, so I won't allow you to stand here and try to make it seem any different" 

"Come on, you're not happy... your about 22 maybe 23, taking care of a bunch of kids all because of what ?? "she paused. "A man.." 

I chuckled, "Actually, I'm taking care of them because the family they came from wasn't doing shit to for them.. and that's the real tea" I wasn't trying to cause a problem, but I was sick and tired of people trying to downplay my love for these kids. I don't give a fuck how old I am, I know what it's like to not have a family, and for once in my life, they make me feel complete and I pretty sure I do the same for them. 

"I already told you what's gonna happen.. if you're not satisfied with that, then I don't know what to tell you." G said. "But what you not gonna stand here and do is act like you really care about them cause you don't" 

"They are my grandkids.. they have no blood connection to either one of you" she said, pointing her finger. I swear I was ready to smack this old, drunk bitch! "They need to be there to see their mother getting buried, she loved them" 

I chuckled , "I cant tell" 

"I'm not trynna hear none of that bullshit.. I said what I said" G said, cutting his eyes at me, cause he knew I always thought that was funny. I didn't laugh though cause I didn't want this lady to think this was a joke. 

"You can do whatever you gotta do, but I'm leaving here tonight and I'm not leaving with them" she said. 

"Is this lady slow?" I asked G, seriously. I wasn't getting why she wasn't comprehending.

"Nah, just drunk" he said. 

"Mommy" I heard Layla say from behind me, making me spin around towards her. She tilted her head, seeing who was at the door, and immediately grabbed onto my leg.