22. She is not in a state

Though Aradhana used to have occasional chats with Rudra, she never opened up herself to such an extent. Her recent behavior and a slowdown of their conversation hinted Rudra, something is wrong at her end. Rudra pestered her quite a times but Aradhana cleverly switched over other topics. After insistence, Aradhana finally gave Rudra her login credentials. The sudden downfall of her grades panicked Rudra.

'What is she up to? Is she keeping well? She isn't speaking to me these days. I so badly want to know about her. Why is she so distracted towards her studies? As far as I know her, she is a hard working person. Do I ask to video call? Would it be right to bother Sonal and ask her about Aradhana? After all, Sonal is her best friend. Aradhana must have shared everything with her. Am I sounding like a creep?' Rudra kept scrutinizing his thoughts. Finally, Rudra mentally decided to help Aradhana out. Rudra assured Aradhana not to worry about assignments as he will do it for her. All that Rudra want Aradhana is to concentrate on written exams as rest will be taken care of. Rudra planned his trip to New York for upcoming long weekend as President's Day fall on Monday.

Akriti was Aradhana's new roommate who accepted Sonal's sublease. A day prior to Spring break, Akriti's blood ran cold as she noticed Aradhana's state the moment she entered the apartment. Covering her face with a scarf, Aradhana hurriedly rushed into her room. Her red-shot eyes and messed hair freaked Akriti out. Akriti was unacquainted with such situations. 

Few minutes later, the doorbell rang. Shailesh pushed past Akriti and entered Aradhana's room in a rush. They argued for a while. There came a point when Shailesh yelled 'Listen to me, Aradhana.' 'No.You listen to me' Aradhana raised her pitch and continued with the same audacity 'Why should I listen to you always? Point one. You aren't committed to me. I ain't your girlfriend. It implies, you hold no rights over me. Still you treat me like your puppet. Point two. Though you treat me like puppet, being a puppet doesn't mean I am your sex toy. I just can't be a person who can be person to satisfy your sexual desires. Point three. Just because a girl lost her virginity to you, you would treat her like a shit. I sacrificed my self-esteem and respect to you. Point four. You are fucking troublemaker with Alzheimer's disease. You suck at relationship.' Aradhana finished her soliloquy.

A loud slap sound echoed in the apartment, sending shivers down to Akriti. Aradhana continued 'That's exactly what you know to do.' Shailesh probably pulled her close. Not this time. Aradhana pushed him away. Akriti loves wine and beer so she generally keeps a stock of it. Aradhana walked out of the room probably towards kitchen. Akriti tries to stop Aradhana but her words fell on deaf ears. Aradhana emptied a beer bottle in a go. Akriti requested Shailesh to handle Aradhana. A big fat male ego didn't let Shailesh pity over her. Without saying a word, Shailesh left her place. Akriti somehow brought Aradhana in her room. Aradhana twaddle something inaudible.

Few minutes later, Aradhana messed her room by turning everything upside down. Akriti is not right person to take of Aradhana. Had Sonal been here, she would dealt with her best friend with an ease. Ruffling her hair, Aradhana sobbed herself to sleep. This adds little relief to Akriti. Akriti's slumber broke as a the doorbell rang. Akriti didn't recognized the person at the other end as she has never met him before. Rudra introduced himself as a friend of Aradhana. Akriti invited him inside. The five minutes long introduction itself triggered Akriti's panic mode. She spoke about the incident in details. A shock would be an understatement for Rudra.

Rudra hurried to her room. Surely, Aradhana is not in her state as she laid on the carpet, her head over one of stretched arms and holding a fistful of unfolded bedsheet with other palm, partially sleeping and weeping. She continued to blabbered in low voice. She looked terrible in ruffled hair, tear dried cheeks and swollen eyes. Rudra's heart ached to see Aradhana in such a mess.