009

authors note: Isabelle is brunette, not blonde. I just couldn't find a gif with brunette hair lmao enjoyyy xD

[I just posted the prologue so go and read it!!]

{not edited}

isabelle's pov

The school day was soon over and I was on my way to meet Quinn in the gym for volleyball tryouts. Harry texted me saying his practice is in the gym, too.

I soon got to the gym and saw that the basketball team was already on the court.

"Isabelle!" An elderly woman called. I soon realized it was Coach Hayes. I smiled at her and slowly ran through the basketball court, definitely becoming an interference to their practice.

"Styles! Tell your girlfriend to watch it!" Their coach yelled at Harry and I laughed while Harry groaned.

"She's not my girlfriend!"

"Yeah Styles, whatever. We don't have all day get back to playing!" Their coach screamed to the team and they began playing again.

"Hey Isabelle. So remember all the open gyms you've been coming to?" She questioned and I nodded a yes, "Well you were the only one who went to every single one and showed your hard work. I've already formed some of my team from the open gyms, and I'd like you to be our libero and to be the team captain this year!"

"W-What?! You have to be kidding!" I yelled and my voice echoed through the whole gym. The guys seemed to not notice because they continued their game. When she shook her head and said she wasn't kidding I threw my knee pads down and pulled her in for a hug.

"I promise you I will work so hard and be the best team captain! Thank you for this, Mrs. Hayes!" I mumbled in her ear through my smiling face and soon pulled away from her to see her smiling as well. "Wait, so who's on the team so far?"

"Well there's you, Jen, Aaliyah, Rosalie, Brittany, and Quinn."

"Thank god. They're all good players." I spoke as we went to sit down at a table across from the net. Every year, the team captain always sat next to the coach at tryouts and evaluated the girls who were trying out. I've always wanted to do it and I can't believe I can this year.

"I'm gonna go change because I still want to feel like I'm trying out." I giggled at her and she nodded, getting all the volleyballs from the back room.

I walked past the boys and into the girls' locker room. As I entered, I saw the girls who were already on the team talking amongst themselves. They looked up at me and squealed as I ran up to them. We all had a group hug and I finally felt part of something again.

"How does it feel being team captain?!" Brittany asked me and the other girls that were trying out looked up at me, confused.

"I think it's too good to be true. But enough about me..all the girls that are trying out today..Coach likes when you run to the ball. Don't cross your arms when you're on the court, it makes you look miserable and comes off like you don't want to play. I'm sure all of you will do great, so don't stress."

♤♧♤

I was the first to walk out of the locker rooms and saw that the boys were done with practice. Some were leaving and others of course climbed on the bleachers to watch our tryouts. I see Harry staring me down while his friends are clearly talking to him.

I stuck my tongue out at him and pulled on my ears as he just laughed lightly at me and zoned back into the conversation with his friends.

I bent down to pull my knee pads onto my knees and heard many cat calls. Can they let me live for two seconds? I'm just about sick of the entire basketball team.

I sat to the left of Mrs. Hayes, while Quinn sat on the right, the other girls that were already on the team sat on the ground in front of us.

"Alright ladies! Welcome to the volleyball tryouts for Miller Place High. First, we're going to start with basic skills. So, grab a partner and start bumping and setting."

"Oh my fu-riggin' god." Quinn almost cursed, but stopped herself, realizing Mrs. Hayes was right there. "Iz. Alysa's trying out."

I was completely shocked. Not once has Alysa ever shown any interest for volleyball-or any sport really. She was bumping and setting back and forth to another girl whose name was Allison. I'm not gonna hold her being a bitch over her though. I'll give her a chance.

"She's an excellent setter." Mrs. Hayes complimented Alysa quietly. I couldn't disagree, and neither could Quinn.

"Alright I'm gonna huddle them in. Do you have any drills in mind that we should do ladies?"

I pondered for a few seconds while the ladies looked at me for a suggestion.

"Queens? So we can see if they're good under pressure and to evaluate their speed on the court."

They all nodded quickly and I stood up as Mrs Hayes blew her whistle. She signaled for me to take over while she went to the bathroom.

I told all of them what Coach likes earlier in the locker room. I told them to run. Most are running but some girls are dragging their feet and walking. That's not gonna be good over the season.

"Huddle up. Quickly! Don't drag your feet!" I yelled at them and then continued, "Alright do any of you know how to play Queens?"

Some girls nodded and some shook their heads no. I called the team that was already formed to the court and split them in half. One team was Quinn, Brittany and I, while the other team was Aaliyah, Jen and Rosalie.

"Alright so basically what you're gonna do is someone on your team is gonna serve the ball; it doesn't matter where you serve it you just have to get it over. The other team has to return the ball, but try to get at least two hits in before hitting it over the net. The team that lets the ball hit the ground in the bounds, is out and another team goes in to replace. Understand? If you don't we'll demonstrate anyway."

Quinn served the ball over and Jen stepped up to set the ball to Rosalie. The ball made its way back to our side and Quinn bumped it to Brit. The ball got set high up to me and I spiked it across the net and saw the ball smack against the ground.

"So...they would be out, and the next team would go in but we would still play until we're out. Got it?"

They all nodded and got into groups of three. I called two of the groups to the court as soon as Mrs. Hayes returned and the drill started.

They were all very good players. I'll have to give them that. What I hated the most was that I knew for a fact that Alysa was going to make the team. There was no denying it. She could serve, set, hit, and she was fast.

"Alright ladies I've made my final decisions."

Mrs. Hayes started calling off names that were good players and were now on the team. The last name I heard was the one and only, Alysa.

"I just wanted to say girls if you didn't make the team, it doesn't mean you should give up. You're all very good at volleyball so try for next year!" I said, trying to cheer up the girls who didn't make the team.

Everyone soon left and I walked over to the few boys who were still watching. I grabbed Harry's water bottle out of his hand and drank every drop of it. I may not have played today but there's no air conditioning in this damn gym.

The boys stared at me as I gave it back to Harry and I asked them, "Did you guys enjoy the show? Actually..don't answer because I know you did..Come on Harry! We have places to be!"
---------
authors note:

i really enjoyed writing this chapter! it was fun to write about something i'm very passionate in so yeah

comment
vote and stuff
♤♧♤