chapter 3

Sodapop POV

"Okay, thats got'er." Steve says tightning a hub cap on a car that was brought in for repairs today.

"Perfect, we can leave now." I stand up stretching. I normally love being here and working on cars, but I just wasn't feeling it today. Ever since I got the letters from Sandy returned and  unopened I didn't feel like doing anything.

"Yeah just let me lock up then we can go." Steve answers grabbing the keys from underneath the counter and locking the back door.

"Need a ride?" I ask watching him.

"Yeah my old man dropped me off today." He drops the keys into his pocket.

We walk out to my Ford and speed off, leaving a cloud of smoke behind us.

"You hear theres talk of another rumble." Steve says with a cigarette between his teeth.

"you're kidding right? I thought they learned their lesson last time we stomped them." I say keeping my eyes on the road.

"Guess not." He says blowing smoke into the air.

By the time we made it home it was around 5:30 and I sure as hell was tired.

"Hey, we're home." I call in, to no one in particular.

"Hey!" Two-Bit answers with a mouth full of chocolate cake, he was sitting on the ground in front of the T.V eating cake and drinking beer, while watching an episode of Mickey mouse.

"Where's everyone else?" I ask Two-Bit, kicking off my shoes, and walking into the kitchen to grab a glass of chocolate milk.

"Darry is working over time, Pony and Johnny are upstairs doin' something, and Dally was thrown in the cooler." He answers not taking his eyes off the T.V.

"seriously? Again?" Steve says flopping down beside Two-Bit, taking a piece of cake.

Around 6:30 Darry comes home, looking beat. "Hey ya'll." He says tiredly, he flops down on the couch.

"Hey, superman." Steve says handing a piece of cake back to him, he shakes his head. Johnny and Pony walked down the stairs laughing,

"hey guys." Ponyboy says grinning. They walk over and sit down on the couch beside Darry.

"Darry, I got a question." Johnny says quietly.

"Yeah whats up kid?" Darry asks rubbing his eyes.

"My sister is moving in with me today, but of course of all the days the old man goes out and gets liquored up, mind if we crash here tonight?"

"Yeah, sure no problem. Stay as long as you need to."

"Yeah and if shes hot she can stay with me anytime." Steve says winking at Johnny and nudges me with his elbow.

No one felt like cooking tonight so we just ate leftovers from yesterday.

Johnny curses suddenly, "whats up Johnnycakes?" I ask groggily, I was just starting to fall asleep.

"I need to swing by the house before my sister."

"I'll drive ya, I ain't got nothing better to do."

"Thanks Soda." He says,

"I'm gonna tag along too." Ponyboy says standing up. I walk out to the car with the boys hot on my heels. We were mostly quite for the ride there,

"how come your sister is moving in with you? You've never mentioned her before." Ponyboy asks.

"Well, I didn't even know I had a sister until just recently. She's coming from New York. Her mom just died of overdose and is movin' in with us."

"That'll be strange having a sister." I say looking at him in the rear view mirror.

"Yeah I guess, just pull over, we'll wait for her here."