chapter 43

Sodas POV

I hear a sharp tap of rocks at my window around 11:30. I couldn't sleep, what with todays events and Ponyboys loud snoring.

I roll out of bed and rub the sleep out of my eyes. I lazily pull the curtains back and push the window up a cool breeze blows my face and the sweet smell of autumn rushes in.

Y/n stands below and frantically  gestures to the front door. At first I thought it was a dream. She was supposed to be at the hospital. She runs to the front door and I race down the stairs to meet her.

"What are you doing here?!" I rip the door open.

"I needed to see you." She shivers and I pull her in. Shes was only wearing a short sleeve shirt.

"Here." I toss here a blanket and she wraps it around her.

"Are you mad at me?" She asks.  I sit on the couch and rub my temples with my thumb and forefinger.

"Not mad. Just surprised." I smile sleepily.

"Mind if I stay here?" She sits beside me.

"I don't mind. But you'll be hearing an earful from Darry in the morning." I chuckle.

"Thanks."

We are silent for a moment. her eyes are lowered and she fiddles with the blanket.

"Soda, do you think Johnny will be okay?"  She keeps her eyes averted. There is a slight waver in her voice but she covers it up with a cough.

"I'm sure he will." I take her cold hand in mine.

She smiles and lays her head on my shoulder.

"I love him." I look down at her and is met with a pair looking back up at me.

"I know you do."

"He doesn't deserve what they've done to him."

I knew exactly what she was talking about.  His parents.

"Neither do you." She remains quiet. "I should probably go to bed." I yawn.

"Okay goodnight." She curls up on the couch.

I head up the stairs silently.

"Soda." She stops me halfway up.

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

I smile to myself and head upstairs. I open the door to my room and slide into bed.

"With all my heart." I whisper with a big goofy smile on my face.