Chapter 32

"What," I whisper in a desperate voice. With a weak voice. "What-what happened?" I ask, walking up to him until I reach him.

Facing him, looking up into his eyes.

"You heard me, Alyssa." He says and looks down at his feet.

I don't know what to say or how to act. I don't know if i should try to be close to cheer him up or stay far to keep a professional distance between us. But I can't even say anything. None of us talks, we're just standing here in the middle of nowhere.

But I shake my head when he starts walking away.

"I'm here..." I say and look down at my feet. "... I'm here... If you want to talk... You don't have to pretend that it's easy all the time, right?" I say in reference to what he said a while ago when we talked on the phone.

I can see a little smirk growing on his face even if it doesn't change the fact that he still seems destroyed.

"Thank you but you have better to do than listening to me talking about my 'love story'" He says in a sarcastic way. "Plus, I gotta go to the studio," He says and leaves the parking, driving his Jeep.

I get back at my service wondering the whole journey if I should have insisted or not. He was so nice to me at the hospital... and when he called me... I should have asked him to stay... But I couldn't.

I can't miss even 10 minutes of my work. I need this money.

I go back behind the counter where I left some consumers but thank God my superior didn't notice and Josh could serve everyone.

The minutes and soon the hours fly away but the only thing that blows my mind is Shawn and Jenny. Seeing him like that made me feel sad because I don't think he deserves this. Nobody deserves this, I guess. I don't know if I should do something or even if I should try, I mean, what could I do? It isn't my business.

Oh god. I'm so lost.

"Call him" Josh's voice pulls me out of my thoughts and I shake my head to wake up from my "sleep".

"I don't know what you're talking about..." I say turning to him and serving people who are coming.

"Alyssa, don't even try..." He looks at his watch and then looks back at me. "You finish in about ten minutes and there's no more consumer... call him."

"I still have to clean the tables..." I say with a smile because he's so sweet with me and he knows me so well.

I take the things I need to clean up everything and then I get in the changing room to take my bag.

"Are you going to close the diner?" I ask Josh when he comes in the changing room.

"Yes, just go pick up your brother and call your lover." He says but I cut him off, acting like I'm shocked.

"He's sleeping at his friend's and Shawn isn't my lover! Even your rhymes suck" I say and punch him on his shoulder in a playful way.

"GET OUT!" He almost shouts at me but it only makes me laugh. I know why he does this and I'm not blaming him but I don't feel like I need it.

"LOVE YA" I scream while getting out.

I don't know when I should call Shawn or even if I should call him so I just start driving so I can think about this during the journey. And decide if I'd rather call him or not.

When I finally park my car, I find myself in the hospital's parking. Without even thinking about it I drove to my mom. I stay in the vehicle a bit to release the stress by leaning my head on the steering wheel.

I close my eyes and decide to call Shawn before I visit my mom so I take my phone from my pocket and travel through the contacts to find the right number.

A few intonations come through but then nothing. He didn't pick up...

I try a second time and the intonations stream again, almost losing hope but I finally hear his voice after a long time.

"Alyssa?"

"Hey, Shawn..." I first say but then everything that I was about to say gets out of my mind. "...Ummm..." I definitely don't know what to say and an awkward silence falls between us.

"Are you okay?" His question makes me chuckle and I see a smile growing on my face when I look in the mirror.

"I should be the one who asks... You know... I-I... you..." I stutter like a baby who starts speaking and I hate myself for being that awkward but... My anxiety gets away the second I hear his laughter which makes me laugh in turn.

We get a giggle without any reason but I know, at least, that it makes me feel good. Those few minutes of intense laughter collapse at the same time that Shawn stops. And a silence takes place for like 2 minutes and none of us talk.

"Thank you, Alyssa..." He says which makes me frown.

"Why are you thanking me?" I ask.

"thanks to you the anxiety of the day has subsided and laughing made me feel good so thank you..." He admits and, and... I don't even know how to describe how I'm feeling because I don't know.

When someone, even a random person tells you that you make their day better, it's a great feeling. Really.

"Talk to me..." I say softly so he can feel free to speak even if we don't know each other that well, talking is a good way to chill.

"That's what I'm doing right now." He says chuckling but I stay serious.

"No, Shawn... Really." He doesn't say anything in a while.

"Can we hang out? Now?" He asks.

Oh no. Mom. I can't but he was so nice to me... What am I supposed to do?

I don't say anything and try to think about what I could do, properly.

"If you don't want to... I understand." He cuts me off of my thoughts but an idea blows up my mind.

"In an hour?" I ask and wait for his answer.

-----

Hey, beauties! I hope you liked this chapter and that I didn't make you wait too long.

Love you all.

----