Chapter 95

I take a deep breath, look one last time at Shawn who's standing right next to me and I finally knock on the front door that I used to open and close so randomly not long ago. We wait a few seconds in a silence for someone to open us. I'm nervous a way I shouldn't be, especially because it's my family but I'm afraid that we fight again like the last time I came here. I'm ready to end this though and my way to happiness starts here. 

The sound of the handle turns me awake from my trans and I see my mother standing on the other side of the frame of the door. I feel Shawn getting nearer the second the door reveals my mom as if he doesn't want anybody to reach me whether with their words or their gestures but it's no use since my mom pulls me in and hugs me after a long sigh hat left her lips. 

"Oh my lord," She says, holding me tight. 

My face in her long blond hair, I can smell its scent of lavender that reminds me of the good old days because everything on her looks so normal. It doesn't look like she's sick anymore It's like something came, took away her disease, grew her young again, cleaned all the messed up stuff here and went back from where it came. 

I hug her back and close my eyes to enjoy this sweet moment with my mom that I missed so much. I never thought that I could live without my mom and go through horrible things without her help, but I did and now that I'm holding her in my arms I can tell how hard it is to leave my mom. I grew as an adult in a short time and didn't even realize it. 

"Kathy? Who is it?" I hear my dad's voice coming from the living room and I step back to get off my mom's embrace as soon as I hear the way he called her. 

The nickname he used so many times when we were all younger. 

She cups my cheeks and stares at me a few seconds and then looks at who's standing behind me. She doesn't answer to my dad but hugs Shawn as well and I'm kind of surprised because she never met him and the one time we talked about him, she told me that she didn't like the idea of me dating him while she didn't mind when I went out with Cameron. 

I look at Shawn over my mom's shoulder and he seems as surprised as I am of this gentle gesture but he just smiles and rubs her back. 

"I'm Shawn, nice to meet you." He holds back a laugh which makes me hold back mine as well.

"Thank you" She mumbles but stops this embrace so we can all get in the living room. 

We're behind her and she looks so excited about us visiting them. 

"We're having visitors," She says to my dad with the biggest smile illuminating her face which makes him raise up his eyes from his laptop screen to look at us. 

"Alyssa!" He closes his laptop and stands up to come to us. Before I have the time to understand what's going on, I find myself in his arms just the way I was in my mom's minutes ago. 

My body tenses and I think that he felt it because he immediately backs off and apologizes. 

"Shawn," Shawn holds out his hand to introduce himself to my dad and I realize that they don't know each other even though Shawn already saw him once. 

"Mike," they greet each other but before we get in a heavy silence Liam runs to me and jumps in my arms. 

"Lyssa! I missed you." 

"I missed you too Superman!" I smile and kiss his cheek before I put him back on the floor. 

"We won the game last time but you left before the end!" He says joyful but sad at the same time so I apologize and promise him to bring him to Mcdonald's later.