Chapter 25

Isabel

Aaron had invited me to dine with him and his mother. I was honoured to do so. That was my chance of showing Mrs Stella that I wasn't an old-fashioned boring soul. I wanted us to bond over something. I wanted her to see me like her own daughter. Indeed, she was a busy woman, but I wanted to build something more with her than just my son's guardian angel. I wanted a mother figure in my life. Maybe she would fill that void in my life.

As I was getting ready when I heard the doorbell go off. Aaron!

Why had he come so early? Goodness, I was not ready. Nevertheless, I rushed downstairs and opened the door. It wasn't Aaron nor was it James. It was a stranger. The back of a  tall figure with blonde hair faced me. He appeared to be shivering, probably cause it was cold outside. I was still in shock. What was a stranger doing at the doorstep of my house?

I had not made a sound till he turned back noticed that the door was open. A slight smile formed on his lips.

"Hello, uhm, I'm lost. Can you help me? I'm new around here," he said.

My suffering at the hands of Jeremy made me a very cautious person. I had high trust issues. Even befriending someone bothered me a lot. What if he was sent to kill me? What if he's an imposter? I couldn't risk it. *Inhaling deeply*, I was so confused on what to do.

"I'm sorry, I don't really know the city that well either. Why don't you use your GPS?"

I was new to the city and I didn't go around unless Aaron, James or Janet are taking me out.

"That's the problem. A couple of guys stole all my things. My wallet, phone, clothes...everything. I came to visit my brother but I have no way of contacting him. Please, help me."

I had to think fast. It was freezing outside and he felt cold. He might catch a cold but I couldn't invite him inside. If Aaron found me talking to him, he will go berzerk. He'd totally lose his mind. But Aaron didn't have a say in my life over who I should help or not. What if I was in his shoes? If he had the option to help me, would he?

I decided to let him in. At least I was being nice to him, someone would've left him in the cold. I made him coffee and told him to use the telephone. I was present as he called his brother because I didn't want to take my eye off of him. I was helping him but I was also trying to be smart. James had taught me a couple of defense skills and I was ready to use them. I was prepared for any wrong move that he'd make.

"I'm really grateful for your help. By the way, my name is Scott," he gratefully said.

"It's the right thing to do."

"If by chance we ever meet in the future and you need help, any help at all, just ask."

On his way out, as I opened the front door, it was to Aaron. My heart dropped flat. His gaze went from me to the stranger, Scott. I was lost of words. As I looked behind Aaron, I saw James. I took small breathes as Aaron didn't want to move out of the way.