Chapter 35

Isabel

I was in my office working tirelessly because I didn't want to see anybody. I wanted to take my mind off the whole celebration thing and just concentrate and focus on being a good assistant to Mrs Stella. Every time I stopped working, Aaron would creep into my mind and then I would start thinking of the unfinished work that I had to do, to block him out.

I felt so embarrassed to be in the presence of Mrs Stella. Even though I was her assistant, I just couldn't build the courage to be around her as much as I used to. Aaron had made me feel so small, so useless. Was I really that much of a burden to him? Did he really hate my guts that much to have been cold to me in such a manner? It felt as if the world was looking down on me, judging me for a stupid mistake that I had done. Ok, probably it was not stupid but still, why was Aaron being so mean to me?

Should I apologise to Aaron? Maybe explain the whole situation to him? Would he understand? Would he listen to me? Would he give me the time? Gosh! Everything was so stressful. I didn't even tell James about what happened.with Aaron. I was ashamed to reveal it to anyone. What had happened in Mrs Stella's office stayed there.

Mrs Stella then walked into my office. She found me making copies and looking lost. Things had now become weird between us and it was obvious. "Isabel?" she said in a soft voice.

I just looked at her with my eyebrows raised in question. She closed the door and walked towards me. We sat down on the sofa and she took a hold of my hands. Her touch was electrifying to my body, as I had pictured Aaron doing that, instead. "What's wrong, Isabel?" she asked, concern displaying all over her face.

"What are you talking about, Mrs Stella?" I asked, removing my hands from hers and standing up to go back to the copy machine.

"That is what I'm talking about!" she said aloud as she stood up and faced me. "Lately, you've been distant. You don't even want to be in my grip! Is it because of Aaron? Because he changed everything that involved you?"

"He practically restricted me from even helping out! How do you think that makes me feel? But I won't even argue with his judgement. After all, he knows what's best for his empire," I revealed, disappointed.

"Oh honey," Mrs Stella rushed to my side. "Why didn't you tell me? You know that I'm on your side."

"Because Aaron controls you, too. The minute you bring up my name to him, will be the minute I lose my job. I can't deal with that, not now at least."

"Aaron doesn't control me. I have as much authority as he does, and he will have to listen to me."

"I don't want trouble, Mrs Stella. I'm fine with not being involved in the project."

"Too late," smiled Mrs Stella.

I frowned at her. What did she mean by that? My heart quickly sank as my knees felt weak. "What did you do?"

"You are involved in the project. Well, as Mr Darren's assistant! You start on Monday," she joyfully said.

At that moment, it was as if my spirit had left my body. My body went cold as I began to blink unrepeatedly. I even had to check if I was still alive. I was horrified! Aaron was glued on my mind and I just couldn't imagine the scene he'd cause if he found me anywhere near Mr Darren. Most important, did he know?! I couldn't stand a chance of losing my job over a one day event, never! "What did Aaron say about it?" I purposefully asked.