Chapter 42

Isabel

As much as I wanted to walk away from Aaron, my feelings for him betrayed me. It hurt know that he was my drug. He was so sincere and as much as I tried to fight my feelings for him, I lost every time. Don't they always say that if love fails then the people were never in love? I was done running from my feelings. Maybe this time, just maybe...we will know if we are truly meant to be.

He held my hand till we get inside the house. As I looked back at him, something came to mind "How is your neck?" I asked, concerned.

"Good. My road to recovery it pretty fast," A gentle smile formed on his lips.

His eyes were warm and welcoming. Piercing as always but they weren't cold anymore and I liked that. "Are you sleeping over?" I asked.

He shook his head. I've got to get back to work. He entwined out hands as he brought mine closer to his lips and kissed it. "I so badly want to stay. Believe me, there's no other place that I'd rather be than here with you but...I have to work, baby. I have to work for our future," he explained.

"So soon?"

"Yeah but before I go, I want to make sure you're safe," he answered.

"I think I'm just going to sleep from here."

He started smiling. "What are you thinking about?" I asked, curious.

"I'm remembering all the times that you fell asleep in my arms."

I smiled as I looked away. It was a quiet and peaceful night. I still couldn't believe that I gave Aaron a second chance. He was actually here, in my house after a very long time and I felt safe, even as he held my hand. "Thank you," he said.

I looked up at him. "It's a learning process, Aaron. We aren't all perfect," I replied.

He came closer and kissed my forehead. "But to me, you're perfect," he whispered.

We went up to my room and he waited for me in the room while I changed to my pyjamas in the closet. As I walked out, I found him sitting in my bed, on his phone. The moment he saw me, he put the phone away and smiled. "Come here," he said as he made me sit on his thigh. He wrapped his arms around my waist and looked at me.

"Remember when I came to my mother's house and found you there?" he asked.

"How can I forget that? I aplogised to you that night," I answered.

"Do you know why I didn't respond?" he asked.

"Because you have always treated me like that since you got back?"

He laughed. "No and I'm truly sorry for that. I acted that way because of your pyjamas," he revealed.

For a second, I didn't get him until I realised why the pyjamas had an effect on him. "Because you got them for me when I was recovering and staying with you. Every time I'd wear them, you'd always tell me that I was your angel," a soft laugh escaped from my mouth.

"And you still are," he responded in a serious tone. "Something in me changed that night and broke the strong, long walls that I had been building while away from you. That night made me realise that I was still in love with you."