Chapter 1

"Just because someone looks happy, doesn't mean they are. Even a white rose has a black shadow."  ~e.m.h.

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield

----------

(Y/N)'s POV

    A lot of kids would think it was cool to do what I do.  I'm skilled with mostly any weapon, highly trained in the martial arts, I've been taught to lip-read, pull apart and manipulate computer programs...but most of all catch and kill bad guys. 

     I live in a small room at the agency's headquarters with my three roommates: two boys, Riku and Kaito, and another girl, Nachika.  All four of us are orphans that were taken from the same town when we were very small. I'm hardly friends with Riku and Nachika, even after all this time.  It's been evident that they're becoming more than friends now, and they like their own space nowadays, which is fine. Kaito on the other hand, is like my brother. He watches out for me and always has my back, and honestly I'd be a different person without him.

     Relationships within the program are permitted, like Riku and Nachika. However relationships with people outside the agency are heavily looked down upon, not because of you're safety, but their's. To have a boyfriend/girlfriend or even just a friend not a part of the organization is putting innocent people's lives in danger. There are so many people out there to catch and even kill you, that the other person will only become a target. There have been countless instances where civilians have died just because someone broke the rules.

     However, I've managed to bend the rules...just a little.

     I'm very unsuspecting, which is the reason for us assassin kids. During the day when I'm working on a mission, I attend an all-girls school just a block away from the world renowned U. A. High School. At my school, I do have one friend, Mikura, but I do my best to protect her by revealing as little as possible to myself about her. She's eventually gotten used to my strange way of giving out hardly any personal information, and she respects it now. I'm eternally grateful to her.

     Oh, and one more thing. Us kids in the agency do have quirks. My quirk is that I can generate an invincible force field around anything, but how long I can hold it depends on my physical condition, at least that's what I've been told. You see, we don't use our quirks. We can't use our quirks. When we were taken into the agency, a small chip was inserted in our heads, just above our right ear. It was put there so it would be almost impossible to get out without hurting ourselves. The chip stabilizes our natural ability to use our quirk, and it also acts as a tracking device. It sends an alert to our boss if any of us stray too far, and lets us know by giving us a physical yet artificial headache. Yes, I know...controlling.

     So no, it's not cool to be me. I long to be a normal kid and have a normal family with normal friends, but I've long accepted it won't happen. I'll never leave...I can't leave.

----------

One day, (Y/N)'s POV

      I just got out of school and I was walking with Mikura to her house.

     "Do you wanna stay and do homework?" She asks.

     "Sure, thanks," I respond. Nothing going on back at my place, so I might as well.  I adjusted  the headband I wore every day so that it sat a little more tightly on my head. I used it to cover up the spot where my chip was, to weaken or even hide the signal. I'd been using the trick for years, but it didn't work over long distance. The further I went, the stronger the signal became.

     We arrived at Mikura's house within a few minutes.

     "I'm home!" She shouted as she and I entered. "I brought (Y/N) with me, we're gonna do homework up in my room!"

     Mikura's mother appeared at a doorway and smiled. "We're happy to have you here with us, (Y/N)."

     I smiled back and nodded my thanks before heading upstairs with my friend.

     Once in Mikura's bedroom, we spread our textbooks all over the floor and searched for our assignments.

     "Are you trying out for the soccer team next year?" Mikura asked. "You're so badass at it. And then you're competing again with your violin, right? You came so close to first last year!"

     Laughing, I replied, "Maybe the music competition, but I don't know if they'd want me on the team."

     "Why not?"

     "Well, I've been told I'm unreliable," I answered. "There are times I have to unexpectedly skip practice, and twice last year I couldn't make a game."

     Mikura shook her head. "I swear, I'll never figure you out. You're such a mystery."

     ". . ."

     "But that's okay! I like mysteries!" She opened her arithmetic textbook. "So, do you know who you're going to the dance with?"

     "Mikura that's in such a long time! Why, did you get asked already?" I wouldn't be surprised. All the boys from the schools around ours were attracted to Mikura. We only saw them before and after school, and at lunch, but they all knew Mikura.

     Excited, Mikura nodded. "I got asked by Keitaro from the boy's school down the street. You know, the one that sometimes helps me with science?"

     I knew who she was talking about. Many of the girls swooned in that upper class-man's presence. "Yes, I remember him. Good for you, Mikura, he's real nice."

     "Thank you," she said. "Now what about you? We need to find you some-"

     Just then my phone vibrated.  I glanced at it to see who it was.  

     "Shoot, I have to go now. I'm sorry, Mikura." I collected my stuff, stood up, and slung my backpack over my shoulder.

     "Really? You just got here! But ok..." Mikura stood up and me a hug before showing me outside.

     "I'll see you tomorrow if I make it to school," I told her as I waved, walking away down the street.

     Once I turned the block, I broke into a run and dialed the number that had texted me.  "Kaito, hey. I'm on my way."

----------

So I hope this was a good first chapter! I'm sorry if it was a bit wordy in the beginning, but I just wanted to make sure you all understood what was going on. It will ramp up after this, I promise (especially since you-know-who is in the next chapter!!!) Thank you for reading ♥