Chapter 45

"We started with a simple hello and ended with a complicated goodbye." ~Unknown

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: The One That Got Away by Katy Perry (listen to this cover tho)

----------

Three days later, (Y/N)'s POV

     I was in the hospital for three days, unconscious for the first. When I woke up, I ached all over from the fight that I was surprised to still remember. The doctors said I got a concussion right before I fell unconscious.  The internal bleeding caused by Taega's kick resolved itself without surgery, with only the aid of a few meds the doctors gave me. 

     Every day they asked me to tell them what happened, with silly questions like what my name was, or how old I was. I answered everything perfectly each time, but soon it became more and more painful. I was only reminded of why the fight even happened.

     Shoto and I had broken up.

     Yes, I missed three days of school, but I was sort of glad. How was I supposed to go back to how things were before Shoto? I couldn't even find him at lunch to eat with him, like we did when we were just friends. Now, I don't think we were any kind of friend.

     You may be thinking it's too early to say we're not friends. But we're seriously not. During my absence, I received text messages from Mikura of course, Midoriya, Uraraka, Kirishima, and even Bakugo. They all asked if I was okay, or where I was. News of the break-up probably reached them, I could tell through the tone of their messages.

     Shoto didn't send me anything, though. Usually he was the first, or he'd call and leave a message. This time there was just nothing, and I watched his chat on my phone sink lower and lower down the list as I got messages from other people instead. My heart sank just as fast.

     However, I resolved to make myself feel okay. Enough was enough, so eventually I willed myself to drag all my things out of the hospital and back to the agency, where Kaito and Nachika had made everything as welcoming as they could.

     Kaito had cleaned my corner of the room, which was something he never did, and also strung a banner from one wall the the opposite, saying "Welcome back, (Y/N)!" It was ironic, since I never got a banner when I was away at Nagasaki for three weeks. Nachika made sure I got all my favorite food and as much ice cream as I could eat. I guess it was for more than just welcoming me back from the hospital. 

     "Really guys, you didn't have to do all this," I said as I slowly took a pint-sized container of (favorite ice cream flavor) ice cream from Nachika. Despite my words, what they did for me touched my broken heart. And, ice cream solves everything.

     "Yes, we did," Nachika spoke resolutely. "You are such a special member to our team, not to mention the sweetest and truest friend we could ever ask for. When Kaito, I, or even Riku were feeling down, you always were able to help us in some way. Why wouldn't we want to be here for you? We love you, (Y/N)!"

     I was suddenly enveloped in her arms. She was hugging me so tight, as if she wanted the force the broken pieces of my heart back together. It made me feel warm inside, but not completely. Instead I felt like I was about to cry.

     I looked over Nachika's shoulder, at Kaito who was standing not too far off. I held out my hand to him and smiled. "Hey, get in here. You're part of this family too."