Chapter 51

"You're beautiful because you know your own darkness and still, that alone doesn't stop you from finding your own light." ~ R.M. Drake

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: My Demons by Starset

----------

Shoto's POV

     It was a rough landing. I crashed to the ground but shielded (Y/N) from the impact with my body. I felt as though I broke every bone in my body and for a second or two I didn't even want to try moving.

     Soon I was able to unwrap myself from (Y/N) and lay her on the cold concrete. She was hardly breathing still, and there was still a profuse amount of blood leaking from the wound. I ripped part of my shirt, and added the cloth to her head with pressure. I tried swallowing my worry that she might not possibly make it out of this wretched place alive. 

      It was dark, I wasn't sure if there was a way out of this place. I didn't even know if we were safe here. It was only a matter of time before we were found again, this time with no easy escape. As far as I could tell, there were no doors or windows in this place, just four ominous concrete walls trapping us in.

     I just sat there on the ground, pulling (Y/N) onto my lap and gently rocking her. My eyes were soaking with tears that were trying their hardest to force their way out. I didn't know what I'd do if I lost her. I felt like a part of me would die, too.

    Suddenly I sniffed back my feelings and held my head higher. She's not gone yet, there's still a chance. There's always hope.

     I heard and echoing thud behind us, then another.

     I carefully let (Y/N) lay on the ground again, and slowly crept up. I looked around, but whatever thing or person that had just entered was well concealed by the darkness.

     I was about to light up my left side when all of the sudden all the lights in the place turned on. They were gas-station bright, so bright it was like they were screaming. I had to blink a few times to get my eyes adjusted to it, but soon I was looking around cautiously for who might have entered. I walked a few paces from (Y/N), listening.  I definitely heard footsteps.

     I saw no one. No one in this small, unfurnished garage.

    Thud, thud, the footsteps echoed.

    I could only assume that a quirk was being used on me, because without a doubt there was definitely someone here. What perplexed me even further was that I could've sworn there were two people that entered.

     I acted with my first instinct, which was so spray fire everywhere in front of me, and everywhere else except for where (Y/N) was lying. I wasn't sure if I got him or not.

    I turned around, looking around and around, but in vain. My heart was beating so loud I felt like it was resonating in the room. I was scared. I could hear, but I couldn't see.

    Just then I finally saw what looked like a scrawny man belonging to the agency. He was skinny, and homely-looking, with no meat to his bones and half his face was taken up by his gargantuan nose. He said nothing, but met my eyes with a sinister grin.

     I didn't hesitate to launch a cascade of ice in his direction. However he was a nimble creature and jumped right before my attack reached him. He came flying in my direction, with arms open like he was about to latch on to me.

     His hand only grazed my thigh as I released another ice attack, throwing him into a wall. He was no longer moving after that.

     I let out a sigh of relief, then listened again.

     Thud, thud, thud.

     I whipped around to look behind me, but there was no one there. There was actually no one. What the hell am I hearing? Why do I still hear someone? My frustration was almost as fierce as my fear. I'd had enough.

     I lit my left side and released my fire to my right. However it went straight to my left. I tried it again with the same result. I tried shooting to the left but it flew to the right instead. It made no sense, and angered me even further. Why aren't you working?! I wanted to scream at my own quirk. In a burst of rage a shot a whole charge of fire before me . . . . I was going to set the whole place ablaze until I found the bastard.

    But my fire didn't go before me, instead it went full force behind me . . . . blasting (Y/N).

    "SHIT!!!" I cursed as I ran to her.  I kicked her hard so that she rolled on her side, making the flames die. I wanted to kill myself seeing the burns that I'd caused on her skin. I was feeling every single emotion I'd ever felt all at once, and it was putting my quirk on overdrive.

     I walked away from (Y/N), steaming with rage, my whole left side covered in flames and deadly icicles growing out of my right. I clenched my teeth, looking left and right, up and down for the "footstep creep."

     The skinny bastard that touched me, his quirk is manipulating mine by making it go in the opposite direction of where I want it to go. That means he's still alive, why didn't I just finish him off? Why didn't I just set him on fire instead of only push him away with ice? Why didn't I KILL HIM?!

    Just then there was voice deep down inside me, deep beneath the raging mess I was, that spoke loud enough for me to hear. You're a hero, Shoto. You don't kill people, you save them. So don't focus on revenge, focus on getting (Y/N) out of here and far, far, away.

     I took a deep breath, letting my conscience's words sink in. I wasn't here to kill. I was here to defend. Revenge was only a fire that consumes the arsonist.

     When I listened again, the footsteps had stopped. This made me extra wary, and I continued to look around even though I knew I wouldn't find anything.

     Suddenly, out of the blue, an invisible force hurled itself at me and slammed me chest-down on the concrete. I groaned at the pain of the impact.

     Whoever was holding me down was much too big and strong for me to shake. His weight made me feel like I was being crushed to the ground like a can being stepped on. My arms pinned down and my quirk malfunctioning, it was one of the few times in my life that I felt entirely helpless.

     I heard a gun click behind my head.

     That's it, this is where I end. I thought I could save (Y/N) from this place, but I couldn't. I failed in my task, and I failed her.  What if we got out of here and she ended up dying anyway? Dying because of me?

     For all I knew she was lying a few feet away from me, bleeding to death and scarred by burns inflicted upon her by my own quirk. I was never impulsive, I always thought things through thoroughly before executing any plans. But this time, I couldn't wait to break her out of this prison that was keeping her from living. My love for her had a hold on me, one I couldn't explain, that made me want to do anything for her. It was my greatest weakness.

     Maybe it's better if I'm to die now . . . because I wouldn't have to live knowing that (Y/N) died because of my reckless behavior trying to save her.

     I closed my eyes, and the gunshot sounded.

----------

Heyyyyyyyyy, long time no see? Happy New Year to all my devoted readers!

Don't forget to vote/comment ;)